Offensive Behaviour Bill passed today by Parliament

That's another point I'd like to know, he mentioned singing the national anthem and whether it would be offensive or not.

If we can't sing "Sent them homeward tae think again" can England fans still sing "Rebellious Scots to crush"? I'm not offended by either, but surely it could be construed that way?

That's another point I'd like to know, he mentioned singing the national anthem and whether it would be offensive or not.

If we can't sing "Sent them homeward tae think again" can England fans still sing "Rebellious Scots to crush"? I'm not offended by either, but surely it could be construed that way?

Two things.

Firstly - it's "Sent HIM homeward tae think again". This is about a tyrant who tried to invade a country using excessive violence and was defeated and so went home. If ANYONE finds this offensive in ANY way then there is something very wrong with them. In fact it's about the most POLITE way of putting it as you could think up.

It doesn't ONCE disparage or even mention any race, religion, colour or social grouping apart from Scotland.

ALL Scots should KNOW this.

Secondly - I don't think I've ever heard of a case of England fans singing "Rebellious Scots to crush" but in the context of an Auld Enemy international, it would be fair enough to me.

This is about a tyrant who tried to invade a country using excessive violence and was defeated and so went home. If ANYONE finds this offensive in ANY way then there is something very wrong with them. In fact it's about the most POLITE way of putting it as you could think up.

Well that's my point, not only that but it's actually singing about historical fact, not a threat.

Secondly - I don't think I've ever heard of a case of England fans singing "Rebellious Scots to crush" but in the context of an Auld Enemy international, it would be fair enough to me.

Firstly, it wouldn't offend me either.

Secondly, it is a line to God Save The Queen, as I'm sure you know. But the thing I'm wondering is, if you don't sing the line does it make the song ok? In which case if we sang the billy boys without the 'up to our knees' line would that make it ok?

Personally I don't think that would be OK as there would always be someone tempted to sing the line anyway. In which case would GSTQ be classed as offensive for containing a line, whether it is sung or not?

New laws to tackle religious hatred and bigotry related to football have been passed by the Scottish Parliament, despite a lack of opposition support.

The government bill aims to tackle the issue with jail terms of up to five years for behaviour which could cause public disorder in and around matches.

But Labour, the Tories, Lib Dems and Greens said the case for new legislation had not been made.

They want the problem addressed through greater use of existing law.

The parties have also called on the government to work more closely with the Scottish football authorities, schools and communities.

Despite opposition, the majority SNP government's Offensive Behaviour at Football and Threatening Communications Bill was passed by 64 votes to 57.

The legislation, which has won backing from police and prosecutors, aims to stamp out abusive behaviour, whether fans are watching matches in a stadium, in the pub or commenting online.

Earlier, about 20 football supporters wearing t-shirts bearing the slogan "fans not criminals" were excluded from the Holyrood chamber after parliament bosses told them they were only allowed in if they took them off.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-16138683

I've merged these and moved them into Rangers chat here Ian. We'll try to keep all the discussion on these new laws together in one place mate.

Sad day for Scottish football and a sad day for Scottish democracy if such a thing ever truly existed.