Rangers' director of football stands by simulation comments

Guest superrcooper7

Guest superrcooper7

Rangers director of football Gordon Smith has said that he would have no problem with Sone Aluko being suspended for diving but only in cases where there is â??almost no contact whatsoeverâ?.

Aluko faces an Scottish Football Association hearing tomorrow over allegations that he dived to win a penalty against Dunfermline last weekend and could face a two match ban, though he insists he was fouled.

When Smith was chief executive of the SFA he was outspoken on simulation, saying that it had to be eradicated from the game entirely. He says he still holds that view but appeared to defend Aluko by saying that his campaign was only against the clearest of cases.

"If the player is guilty of simulation I would have no problems with him being banned for it,� Smith told The Herald.

"I didn't bring it in to protect certain people. But I did realise at the time it would have to be clear cut, that there would be scenarios where players would be mildly touched.

"I did think it would have to be a case almost of no contact whatsoever had to be proved."

The former player was an active campaigner against simulation during his time working at hampden. In 2009, following a controversial penalty won by Eduardo for Arsenal against Celtic, he said: â??Since I came into this post, I have raised the issue of simulation time and time again both here in Scotland and with FIFA and UEFA.

â??I don't think that I have received enough support in my efforts to eradicate what I believe to be one of the most serious threats to the integrity of football.â?