All Transfer Rumours and silly season stuff

Thought it was £3.5m up front with further add on to make it £7m maybe...

The way the press have twisted the words we have accepted £3.5m.

It will be undisclosed and us, the fans, won't have a clue bar press speculation.

Do you guy's really think McCoist will see much money? How do SSN come up with 5mill when we knocked back 7 supposedly? I don't believe we have become a charity network for Everton. Either the other offers were far wide of the mark or this one is.

On all honesty, No!

If we have accepted 5 million then we really ARE in the shit. We will be signing away the title if no replacements are brought in - and more than one is needed.

Surely it is more than 5 million - yes he has been playing poorly but he cost us 4 !!

Could not agree more with Craig here, very concerned by how today could pan out. I don't see us having any chance of retaining the title with the strikers we will be left with. McCoist must be feeling rather depressed just now unless he does have a plan in place. Not giving ourselves much time to do any business either. I can't even think of any strikers we could bring in to be honest.

5mill up front rising to 8mill after the usual spread payments.

Can't really say no to that.

Will we get anyone in imo not a chance.

Next fixtures are:

Arabs at Ibrox

Away to Dunfermline

Home to Killie

By then Laff will be back maybe Ally thinks we can manage till then with what we have.

A front three of Mervan Healy Aluko will get you goals against those three teams.

Edited by GovanAllan

As the saying goes, pessimists are optimists with experience. Which more often than not holds true. Still, we are talking football here and we bought Jelavic when times were even more dire and dealt in quite a few faces in the last January window when we again had even less money to spend.

I for one am pretty sure that we get at least a couple of new faces in.

RANGERS chairman Craig Whyte's determination to achieve his full valuation for the sale of Nikica Jelavic will be tested to the full as the transfer window closes today.

Whyte remained in contact with both Everton and West Ham United yesterday, both of whom have made enquiries about the Croatian international striker but have so far baulked at the price tag of around £8 million placed on him by the Rangers owner.

The January trading period comes to an end at 11pm tonight for both English and Scottish Premier League clubs and it remains to be seen how firm Whyte will stay in his attempt to secure what he regards as the optimum income for Jelavic.

West Ham manager Sam Allardyce last night indicated that his club will not be doing any business with Rangers unless Whyte lowers the price.

“If I'm led to believe where it is at the moment, for us it was too expensive,” Allardyce told Sky Sports News.

“Too expensive – full stop.” Asked if the club had dropped their interest in the striker, he replied: “Yes.”

Jelavic returned to training at Murray Park yesterday, having missed Rangers’ 4-0 win over Hibs at Ibrox on Saturday because of a virus which had seen him absent from the club’s training ground since last Wednesday. It is believed the 26-year-old would welcome a move to Everton, having been less enthusiastic about the prospect of joining Championship side West Ham, who had a reported offer worth £7 million for him turned down by Rangers last week.

Rangers’ perilous financial situation, with the outcome of the HMRC tax case against them still pending, means the sale of their most valuable playing asset this month has been widely anticipated.

But the brinkmanship involved could yet see Jelavic remain with the club for the rest of the season, an outcome which would clearly be welcomed by Rangers manager Ally McCoist as he attempts to retain the SPL title.

The Everton manager David Moyes, speaking at his media conference ahead of tonight’s game against Manchester City, refused to either confirm or deny his interest in Jelavic.

“I never talk about players at other clubs, I wouldn’t do that,” said Moyes. “I don’t like it and I didn’t like it when I was a player and I kept hearing there were other centre-halves coming in to take my position. I wouldn’t talk about players at other clubs. If there was any news I would give it to you. You will need to wait until midnight tomorrow night and then we will let you know what is happening.”

There was a mischievous element to Moyes’ response to questions yesterday as he gently ridiculed the level of speculation in his homeland surrounding Jelavic. “It is a strange place that Scotland,” added Moyes with a smile. “I don’t know what they do up there. They talk about anything up there.”

Moyes did confirm he does want to add another fresh face to his squad before the deadline. He has already completed a loan deal for American midfielder Landon Donovan and the permanent signing of Irish midfielder Darron Gibson from Manchester United this month, while the Goodison club have sold Russian striker Diniyar Bilyaletdinov to Spartak Moscow for a fee believed to be in the region of £5 million.

“I said probably a month ago that I would hope to bring two or three players in during the window, so the answer to that is yes,” added Moyes.

“I don’t think it will be that difficult (doing a deal on a day when Everton have a game to play). There are people at the club, so if there was business to be done I am sure they will be able to do it. They don’t desperately need me, but it’ll be eight o’clock by kick-off so there will be very little time to go.”

The biggest concern for McCoist would be an eleventh hour sale of Jelavic, leaving him with little or no time to secure a replacement. With Kyle Lafferty, Steven Naismith and Kane Hemmings all currently sidelined by injury, veteran Northern Ireland international David Healy is the only other striker at McCoist’s disposal.

Having missed out on Polish international Pawel Brozek to Celtic over the weekend, McCoist remains interested in Rapid Vienna’s Albanian forward Hamdi Salihi but time constraints make any move for him appear unlikely.

Rangers did free up one salary slot in McCoist’s first team squad yesterday when Spanish winger Juan Manuel Ortiz flew home with a view to joining Almeria on loan for the rest of the season. Ortiz was McCoist’s first signing as Rangers manager last summer but has failed to hold down a regular first team place.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spl/rangers_are_asking_too_much_for_nikica_jelavic_says_sam_allardyce_1_2087002

The MLS, in general, is still a backwater in terms of football though Gav.

Sure, he may get a challenge against those players (not Henry though unless they make the play-offs as Henry is in the Eastern Conference.....) but my point still stands that playing in the MLS at this stage is probably the beginning of the end for him.

Look at the players mentioned - Henry & Keane are nearing the twilight of their careers and Donovan is a US national and is patriotic to his country, and Galaxy to be fair.

I felt the beginning of the end for Boyd was when he never made the mark at Middlesboro.

Now he has officially joined the Portland Timbers, I wonder how long before the 'plank of wood' jokes start?!