All Transfer Rumours and silly season stuff

Get serious! Jelavic is not a £10m striker, says ex-QPR boss Warnock

Neil Warnock has warned Rangers they will toil to get £10million for Nikica Jelavic.

The former Queens Park Rangers boss was speaking out as West Ham had an offer of £5m plus £1m in add-ons rejected by the Ibrox club.

The Upton Park outfit began informal negotiations last week and, according to Rangers sources, followed that up with a firm proposal.

On Wednesday, however, senior figures at West Ham said they are ready to move on to other targets.

Rangers will now step up efforts to sell the 17-goal striker for as close to £10m as possible, with manager Ally McCoist hamstrung in his efforts to sign new players until the sale goes through.

Warnock considered buying the Ibrox club’s top scorer before being sacked by QPR a fortnight ago and last night told Sportsmail: ‘I know what Rangers value him at. But whether they get anywhere near that is another matter.

‘I would be surprised if anybody paid that much and were not very impressed, if I’m honest. We watched him for a few weeks and he didn’t seem much to write home about.’

Warnock tracked Jelavic and Rangers keeper Allan McGregor after targeting three or four new players for his struggling side.

Sacked by wealthy owner Tony Fernandes, however, Warnock explained why he passed on Jelavic when he added: ‘He has ability, no question. But I don’t know if anybody knows for certain if he is a Premiership player — and that’s the problem. If you are going to pay what Rangers want, then the player has to be proven as a Premiership player, haven’t they? You could get Jermain Defoe for £10m.

‘I don’t know, other people might see it differently. People always want strikers, especially at this time of year. It comes down to whatever someone thinks he is worth.’

Rangers hope news of a firm bid from West Ham will drag other interested clubs out of the woodwork, with new QPR boss Mark Hughes joining Liverpool and Sunderland in the list of interested clubs.

If or when Jelavic finally goes, Rangers are set to approach Rapid Vienna striker Hamid Sahili.

The Albanian, also linked with Celtic, is out of contract in the summer and available this month for a knockdown fee after being told he can leave.

Sources close to Sahili claim Rangers have placed him on standby to replace Jelavic.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2091882/Nikica-Jelavic-worth-10m--Neil-Warnock.html#ixzz1kYlUcjMq

He's making an arse of himself. He may not value Jelavic at that price but that doesn't mean he's not worth close to it. Values are subjective and from Rangers point of view, why would we pay 4.5M for him, for him to become one of our most important players only to sell him for a marginal profit? It just doesn't make sense.

You could offer me what my house is worth and I'd tell you to bugger off - why would I want to sell my home when I'm happy there?

You could then offer me 25% over the odds and I'd still emphatically say no, it's just not worth the hassle and the work needed to find another house I'd be happy in - then the work and expense and upheaval in moving and then to adjust the decor, kitchen, bathroom etc to my tastes.

However, offer me twice as much as it's worth and you may have a deal...

A lot of the time the selling price has absolutely nothing to do with market value - we're talking about COMPENSATION. If Warnock doesn't want to pay then he can walk away and at West Ham's offer I'd prefer they did too.

The point is we don't want to sell, however we can be persuaded if we're compensated in a way that makes it difficult to refuse.

Edited by calscot

Why is Warnock sticking his nose into our business anyway? I do agree Jelavic isn't a 10M striker, I don't think he's a 7M striker tbh - but I applaud the club for not just letting him go at the first sniff of cash.

It could backfire, he could end up staying (and remaining unhappy) but I guess as long as he keeps scoring it wouldn't be the end of the world.

But my priority is to sell at a healthy price - it's best for Rangers if that happens. And my patience.

Yeah because that is what it is about down south what players are actually worth, Carroll £35 Million, Torres £50 Million, Connor Wickham £12 Million. Shut up Warnock you clown.

I cannot understand why Liverpool paid £35M for a £15M striker at best. And Torres, in form IS worth £50M but hasn't shown that form in...years?

No transfer fee was involved. ;)

He is worth more than zero, I agree. So he was worth it....

I think there are some players worth their transfer fee though. Bocanegra being one and Goian being another and that is just off the top of my head.