All Transfer Rumours and silly season stuff

The situation about Jelavic is still in flux, and it's getting to that stage of the season where bookings and injuries start piling up. What happens if Healy gets a long term injury today?

However, point taken for the domestic Cup SA, however, I for one really want us to win the Cup this year for obvious reasons.

Thing is, if Miller was worth £400,000 at this time last year - in the same situation - then Sandaza can't be worth all that much?

That was part joke, part question. As I said, being cup tied for Europe is something teams consider seriously and dramatically reduces a player's value in the eyes of the buying club. Whether or not the heirarchy of the club feel the same about domestic cup ties I have no idea.

Good point about valuations comparing Miller and Sandaza. I do think Sandaza would be a useful body to have in the squad, hopefully to support or back up Jela. I actually haven't seen any mooted transfer values?

Players are often typically worth the remainder of their wages for their contract (or maybe upped to what they've been offered for a renewal). Miller on 20 grand a week for 20 weeks makes £400k.

Sandaza can't be worth more than £100k at a push.

Of course the selling club can ask whatever they want and the ultimate value is what a buying club are willing to pay to complete a deal.

Traynor in The Record has us linked with a £2m move for Valladolid striker Javi Guerra.

RANGERS manager Ally McCoist is ready to splash his entire transfer budget on a prolific Spanish striker.

But it won’t be Francisco Sandaza after it emerged Real Valladolid’s £2million-rated Javi Guerra is the hitman McCoist wants.

And sources close to Valladolid insisted McCoist is determined to persuade Rangers owner Craig Whyte that cash must be found to land Guerra.

With Steven Naismith out for the season, Kyle Lafferty set to be sidelined for five more weeks and Nikica Jelavic expected to leave before the transfer window closes, the Ibrox side are facing a frontline crisis.

It had been thought St Johnstone’s Sandaza, or even Hibs striker Garry O’Connor, would be targeted but 29-year-old Guerra has caught McCoist’s eye.

The Spanish sources also said Rangers’ management have had glowing reports about the striker, who has scored 34 times in just 55 appearances.

He has hit eight goals this season, bagging a hat-trick at the weekend in the 4-1 trouncing of Sabadell which kept Valladolid’s hopes of winning the Segunda Division alive.

Although McCoist couldn’t be contacted last night – he was one of several managers listening to Marcello Lippi and Andre Villas-Boas speak at Hampden – it’s believed he has identified Guerra as the player who can revitalise Rangers’ title bid if Jelavic is sold off.

Rangers hope to rake in £7m-plus for the Croat and McCoist is keen to get his hands on some of that.

But if he is given the cash to tempt Valladolid and the former Cadiz, Mallorca and Valencia striker, McCoist wouldn’t have much, if anything, left.

That might be why he hasn’t pushed to bring Sandaza in now, although St Johnstone manager Steve Lomas is unhappy at the way his player has been unsettled by the transfer talk.

And Lomas reckons the deal would have been done by now if Sir David Murray was still in charge at Ibrox.

McDiarmid Park chairman Steve Brown is demanding a fee of £300,000 for the 27-year-old, who is out of contract in the summer.

And so far neither Whyte nor right-hand man Ali Russell have come up with the cash – to the infuriation of Perth boss Lomas, above.

He said: “If Rangers want him why don’t they do it straight away?

“I feel sorry for Ally. He is an Ibrox legend and is having to deal with all this financial uncertainty.

“Ally wants him and I think Fran would go to Rangers. But at the end of the day it’s a case of Rangers unsettling our player. They maybe see us as little St Johnstone and are trying to get him on the cheap. And that is poor.

“I phoned Ally before the window opened and said: ‘If you are interested in Fran let’s get it conducted right.’ That’s the way Rangers operated under Murray.”

Lomas then hit out at Sandaza’s adviser Clive Jagger and said: “If I was his agent I’d say: ‘Fran, if you’re going to gamble with your fitness to the end of the season why gamble with a pre-contract?’

“Why not score 10 more goals and have a load of clubs in for you? If he gets an injury he ain’t going to pass a medical and that contract would be like toilet paper.

“His agent is absolutely Mickey Mouse.”

A bit of a gamble to sign a 29 year old who'll have next to no sale on value - even if his current record seems pretty good.

I agree that £2m on a 29 year old might not be the best use of our limited resources but, I also don't think we can afford to gamble on a younger player with potential rather than a proven goal scorer if Jelavic leaves.

I agree that £2m on a 29 year old might not be the best use of our limited resources but, I also don't think we can afford to gamble on a younger player with potential rather than a proven goal scorer if Jelavic leaves.

Yeah, that's a fair point - we will need a player that can hit the ground running so to speak. I just feel there could be a bit of middle ground between an untried youngster and someone who may be past their very best.

In saying that, I don't know enough about the player to know if his key forward virtues (such as mobility and pace) are on the wane.

Ally possibly looking back through some old VHS footage?

Guerra and Sandaza in attack next season?

We could have a new partnership to be fair. Jelavic may not survive this month, never mind the summer window while if Lafferty doesn't sign a contract extension, I'd fancy he may also be sold in the summer. Healy will also be out of contract this summer.

Hmmm, not sure the guy will adapt, 29 and coming to a new country is a risk. I am all for scouring the leagues but preferably people who can adapt Spaniards struggle bar Cuellar and Novo but Novo had been living here for a few years anyway, there is probably others as well.