Sone Aluko?

First, he's one of the top performers (statwise) in Liverpool's midfield.

I'm not the only one underwhelmed: http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/983875/charlie-adam-vows-to-prove-himself-at-liverpool?cc=5739

Second, you weren't impressed with him at Blackpool? He played 34 games, scored 12 goals and had 9 assists ... for Blackpool.

I don't really care about stats when it comes to what I see on the pitch. Whenever I saw him, he looked the same as he did for us.

If you weren't impressed by that, I wonder what you make of him at the age of 18, when he was amongst our squad players. That was actually my point with regard to your opinion about Aluko "failing at Birmingham", a team he never played a real game for, most likely because of his age and a squad full of high-earners.

Wow, you really are trying to whore this Aluko chap off!

It was not my intend to show you that Aluko is a decent player. Of course, him being selected as English u16 to u19 and as a full Nigerian international at the age of 20 should give you some ideas. Anyways, IMHO, we could do much worse than sign an experienced freebie at low wages till the end of the season as cover for Naismith.

We cannot 'cover' Naismith. I've explained this already. We'd need many millions to sign a player as good as him. I mean, if you want a massively inferior player, sure, Aluko's fine.

I for one would like to see some more competition to Wylde out there (McKay is IMHO a player that should be deployed nearer the centre of midfield), who is still quite one-dimensional.

Potential wingers: Ortiz, Wylde, Bedoya, Fleck, McKay - we have enough players for chief's sake.

Potential wingers: Ortiz, Wylde, Bedoya, Fleck, McKay - we have enough players for chief's sake.

Of those you mention, Ortiz is the only "winger" with experience, but actually a right winger come full back. Same goes for Bedoya, who has played there for the US of A as well. Wylde is, as I said, rather one-dimensional thus far, McKay played as left winger, but is actually a creative centre-midfielder who can play on the left. As for opinions, here's one who has seen Aluko at close hand, and not just at Murray Park.

I wouldn't put to much stock in what a player says - they know it's best to talk up potential team-mates.

Fair enough. Still, does anyone on here really think that McCoist, McDowell and Durrant would waste their time looking at duds? I would expect that only players whom they rate actually make it to Murray Park in the first place ... and other with these Indians or the Swede, they all have seen Aluko in action before.

That's it for me really, I can't see why McCoist et al would be botheing about the guy if they didn't have a desire to sign him.

We'll find out by next week what the boss wants.

Fair enough. Still, does anyone on here really think that McCoist, McDowell and Durrant would waste their time looking at duds? I would expect that only players whom they rate actually make it to Murray Park in the first place ... and other with these Indians or the Swede, they all have seen Aluko in action before.

I do believe that's why we signed Ortiz. Smashing signing that one turned out to be.

All managers make errors in signing at times.

Yes, they must think he's worth looking at, but the real test of how highly they rate him will be whether they sign him - and then how much they play him...

I do believe that's why we signed Ortiz. Smashing signing that one turned out to be.

All managers make errors in signing at times.

Ortiz? Decent enough for the SPL, but some people will never win fans over. That's one in seven signings he made then that you deem "not good enough". Would have to backtrack what you said about Goian or Bocanegra at the time.

Anyway, today's supposedly judgement day for Aluko.

Ortiz? Decent enough for the SPL,

Maybe as a full back, but we didn't really sign him as one.

but some people will never win fans over.

You do notice he is always on the bench, right? Clearly Ally doesn't rate him much either.

That's one in seven signings he made then that you deem "not good enough".

Yes, that's why I said every manager makes errors! It's not rocket science.

Would have to backtrack what you said about Goian or Bocanegra at the time.

You'll have to quote what I said about Goian and Boca.