Davis anger at Dons fans as Rangers star Naismith hit by injury woe

Rangers captain Steven Davis has turned on the Aberdeen fans who cheered when Scotland international Steven Naismith was stretchered off at Pittodrie with suspected cruciate knee ligament damage.

Davis was appalled by the reaction of the home crowd after Naismith had fallen to the turf in agony midway through the first half with an injury that is expected to end his season.

Rangers went on to win the game 2-1 thanks to a Kyle Lafferty strike and Nikica Jelavicâ??s penalty. Richard Foster replied for the Dons with considerable help from an Allan McGregor blunder but Ally McCoistâ??s side extended their remarkable away league run to 14 successive victories.

However, the Ibrox team bus left the north east with heavy hearts because of concerns over the right knee of top scorer Naismith, who missed eight months in 2008 with cruciate damage sustained in a Scottish Cup semi-final at Hampden.

Davis spoke for the Rangers â?? and probably Scotland â?? dressing room in expressing a hope that the 25-year-old will fully recover and return to action as soon as possible.

But he was also angered that the Aberdeen support took pleasure in the stricken starâ??s plight as he was carried off the field of play.

â??I was disappointed in that,â?? said Davis, whose team-mate was initially hurt when sliding in to a challenge on Rob Milsom â?? one that forced the Aberdeen midfielder to be substituted with a gash on his shin and bruised ankle.

Scot of bother: Ally McCoist wished his star well

Scot of bother: Ally McCoist wished his star well

â??I donâ??t think any fan should want to see a player seriously injured â?? even in the other team. I am a bit saddened by that. But itâ??s a major blow for ourselves and for Steven.

â??Hopefully, he can work hard and come back. Heâ??s been such a fantastic player for us and itâ??s a bit of a dampener. I think everyone around him will support him at the club. He did his other knee before and came back stronger. Hopefully, he can bounce back again.â??

His deflated manager McCoist reported: â??We donâ??t know yet but the signs arenâ??t good. He says it feels very much the same as it did when he did his knee before but we wonâ??t know until we get a full scan and diagnosis on it.

â??But, obviously, it isnâ??t looking good at the moment because he feels the same pain and numbness as he did when he did it the first time.

â??It is strange because I thought our team in the second half played some great stuff and thoroughly deserved the victory but there is absolutely no doubt that the shine has been taken off the result because of Stevenâ??s injury.

â??We really have mixed emotions. I am more down than anything for Steven and I probably shouldnâ??t be like that because we donâ??t know the extent of the injury yet. We just have to keep our fingers crossed that the injury isnâ??t as bad as it seems at the moment.â??

Naismith received touchline treatment for several minutes after the Milsom incident before returning to action. However, he then collapsed in the centre circle.

â??I thought something was wrong with the first challenge,â?? said McCoist. â??But I spoke to him and he said he thought he was absolutely fine to come back on. He is obviously now down in the dumps and in a bit of despair.

â??That is Steven, he is just totally committed. And he is in there totally dejected because he wants to do his bit for the team and the lads. On the flip side of that, I thought the rest of the lads came out and did their bit for him as well by winning the game.â??

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2055180/Rangers-captain-Steven-Davis-turns-Aberdeen-fans.html#ixzz1cFIec0Ac

Because we've never cheered at Ibrox when an opposition player has went off injured. Anyone remember Robbie Kane going off on a stretcher when he was playing at Ibrox in a pre-season friendly for Spurs?

It's not a nice thing but fans of every club will do it.

Because we've never cheered at Ibrox when an opposition player has went off injured. Anyone remember Robbie Kane going off on a stretcher when he was playing at Ibrox in a pre-season friendly for Spurs?

It's not a nice thing but fans of every club will do it.

Good point. If, say, Neil Lennon was to go over his ankle, accidentally, at the next OF game (assuming he is still in the job!), would we just clap politely if he was stretchered off?

Good point. If, say, Neil Lennon was to go over his ankle, accidentally, at the next OF game (assuming he is still in the job!), would we just clap politely if he was stretchered off?

Hardly a good comparison!!,but I get your meaning

Aberdeen fans are more disgusting than other sets of fans though when it comes to these sort of things.

I do think most fans will cheer if an opposition players goes down, or off with and injury, especially popular players, but it usually ends there. The sheep make a big deal about any such injury, even to the extent of it becoming a chant.

Regardless of any others cheering an event such as this, Aberdeen fans are particulary nasty in their ways.

I think it's part and parcel to cheer, as a fan, when an opponent goes down.

It's unpleasant and supporters of said player will hate opposition fans for it, but it's part of football. The nastiness is when it's a serious injury and said player is stretchered off - if the cheering continues then that's out of order imo.

That's basically like celebrating someone being carted off in an ambulance in the middle of the street.

Samaras of septic goes down often as if he's had a serious injury, many times I've thought 'oh my god, that poor man is finished as a professional' then miraculously he recovers then I think 'Jeez, thank god he's is okay'......just think how damaging it would be to our title hopes if ever sammy got a serious injury.