Gers bid for swede hitman

RANGERS' JOE SISE CAN BE THE NEW JOHN CAREW CLAIMS RONNIE ROSENTHAL

RANGERS trialist Joe Sise has what it takes to be the new John Carew.

That is the view of former Liverpool striker Ronnie Rosenthal, who recommended the Swedish under-21 international to Rangers.

The out-of-contract Hamstads frontman, 21, arrived in Glasgow yesterday to begin a week’s trial at Ibrox, and to try and win a move to the Scottish champions.

Rosenthal believes Cise, who would cost around £300,000 in compensation, has the physical presence, pace and strength to be a massive hit in Scotland and is the mirror-image of the former Norway and Valencia star Carew.

Rosenthal said: “Joe is a big striker. He first caught my eye when I saw him play for Sweden in an under-21 tournament. I would say you would describe him as a target man but he is also very quick for his size.

“He is very fast and has all the attributes to be a top class player. In some ways he’s a bit similar to Peter Crouch although Joe is probably a bit quicker than him. Maybe Joe is a bit more like John Carew when he was younger. John was big strong and quick when he first came on to the scene and he reminds me a bit about Joe.”

ì

I would say you would describe Joe Sise as a target man but he is also very quick for his size

î

Former Liverpool striker Ronnie Rosenthal

The Israeli also believes that Rangers fans would be wrong to read too much into Cise’s goal record. Rosenthal reckons the Swede’s strike rate is decent in a struggling side but could really come to life if he was to join a title-chasing side.

“Joe scored quite a few goals for Halmstads, but you also have to remember they have struggled in recent years and this season they ended up being relegated,” Rosenthal insisted.

“He definitely has an eye for a goal. Last season he scored five in 18 games and this season he has scored five goals in thirteen games. He would definitely score a lot more goals at a bigger club. All he really needs is the chance to show people what he can do. He is still a very young player and has only played a couple of seasons at the highest level.”

Rosenthal has been working as a player scout in recent seasons and it has been in that capacity that he recommended Sise to Rangers. He explained: “I’ve been in contact with Rangers quite a lot lately.

“I know the financial perimeters that Rangers have to operate. They don’t have the same money as the clubs in England and so if I can help them and recommend a player that might benefit them then I am more than happy to do that. I know the Scottish league is very physical and I have no doubts Joe would have no problems fitting into the game up there.”

Sise, who has previously been on trial with Serie A giants AC Milan, is expected to stay in Glasgow for the next week but if he doesn’t win a deal at Rangers then Rosenthal doesn’t expect him to be short of offers. German side Hansa Rostock have already declared an interest while AIK Stockholm are also monitoring his situation, along with clubs in Belgium and Holland.

“Whatever happens I am certain that Joe will be playing at even higher level and I fully expect him to go on and become a full Swedish international. “ added Rosenthal.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/279444/Rangers-Joe-Sise-can-be-the-new-John-Carew-claims-Ronnie-Rosenthal

One thing that may be getting missed in that article though is that Rosenthal is a player scout and is quoted as saying he has been in touch with Rangers a lot recently.

Many of us fans have been complaining ad nauseum about the lack of scouting the club has. I for one had no idea that Rosenthal was looking at players and recommending them to us. Could it just be that we ARE scouting but we fans simply dont see it as it is part of the quieter side of the business ?

JOE SISE'S voicemail message tells you something about the boy who hopes to become Rangers' next big thing.

It's a rap, perhaps even sung by himself, and it's not very good. But it's certainly different from "Leave your number and I'll get back to you".

The message leaves the caller in no doubt it has been recorded by a very confident individual, let's put it that way.

But that self-assurance will be a vital part of Sise's armoury this week as he tries to persuade Ally McCoist he is worth a contract that could change his life.

The 21-year-old Swedish striker has told his hometown club, Halmstads BK he is ready to cut the apron strings when his contract expires in December.

His club have just been relegated from the Swedish top flight and he believes it is time to move on after 58 appearances and 11 goals.

It would have been more if he hadn't had knee problems that hampered his development as a kid who was regarded as something of a protege and invited for trials at AC Milan before joining Halmstads three years ago.

That came to nothing but Sise - his first name is pronounced Yo - will believe this week's visit to Murray Park will have a happier ending than his trip to the San Siro.

His current club manager, Jens Gustafsson, believes his young striker can make it with Rangers if the only criteria is ability.

But the young Swedish coach's biggest fear is the injury problems the 6ft 4in striker, who is of Gambian descent, has suffered, will come back to haunt him.

The Halmstads coach said: "He is a very, very good player. And he is a very confident boy. Too confident? That is not for me to say but he has real belief in his ability as every striker has to have.

"They play in the most pressurised position and if they don't believe in themselves they are in trouble. Joe definitely believes!

"But the history he has had with injuries is definitely something to think about. He has had knee problems in the past year or so and those have not helped his development.

"But I am sure Rangers are aware of this. In fact I think that must be why they have asked him on trial - to see if he is fit enough.

"On footballing ability he is too good to go on trial. A player with his skills shouldn't have to do that. But if there are question marks over his fitness then Rangers have every right to ask him over to have a look at him.

"That is the biggest question mark against him - his history of injury."

Gustafsson has reconciled himself with the fact he won't have the Sweden Under-21 international next season. But he's not bitter about that - he just wants Sise to be a success.

He added: "It is true his contract will end with us in December and he has told us he wants to move to another country.

"Rangers made contact with our directors two weeks ago, asking if Joe could come to Glasgow for a week's training and a trial. We have accepted that because we know we cannot stand in his way.

"He arrived in Glasgow on Sunday and I am sure he is very excited about the prospect of proving himself. Rangers are a big club and this is a big opportunity for Joe.

"He is a very big guy. He is tall, fast and has a big physical presence about him. There's no doubt those elements can help him be a success in Scotland.

"But there is more to his game than just his size. Joe has real ability. He has a good touch and brings others into the game. He is still young but has the skills to become a very good player.

"He has already played for Sweden's Under-21 team but I believe he can become a full international."

The Halmstads coach believes Sise is adaptable enough to fit into most attacking systems but is convinced he is at his most potent going through the middle.

He added: "I have played him as one of three strikers in a 4-3-3 and he has done well but I have also used him with one striker in a 4-4-2 and he links well with the other players.

"He has also played on the wing but I think he is better going through the middle where his speed and strength troubles defenders.

"But it is over for him now with us and he will leave. It is always a big thing when a young person goes abroad for the first time. Does he have the maturity and personality at that age to handle everything that goes with a move like that? "Joe will believe he can do it. He has a lot of belief in his own ability and you need that to succeed.

"When he told us he wanted to leave, I was grateful he was honest with us because it has given us time to go out and get a replacement.

"Wherever he ends up, he will go with my best wishes. He is not yet the finished product but can become a very, very good player."

Daily RHebel

RANGERS' JOE SISE CAN BE THE NEW JOHN CAREW CLAIMS RONNIE ROSENTHAL

Complimented from a player whose miss against Aston Villa rivals that of van Vossens against Celtic. I'd take it with a pinch of salt and move on!

[video=youtube;kiVq5-u7MH0]