Gers bid for swede hitman

RANGERS boss Ally McCoist watched Stevie Naismith and Nikica Jelavic blast his team further ahead in the SPL race and then admitted he could be about to add Swedish under-21 hitman Joe Sise to his impressive Ibrox armoury.

The champions extended their lead at the top to nine points with a hard-fought 2-0 win over Hearts.

McCoist admitted he was delighted with the contributions of Naismith and Jelavic, who stepped out of his sick-bed to score, and then confirmed that £300,000-rated Halmstads hitman Sise could fly into Glasgow for a trial later this week.

The 6ft 3in attacker who is rated one of the top prospects in his homeland had a trial with AC Milan a couple of years ago but failed to win a deal. Now though he reckons he is ready to take a step up and would welcome a move to the SPL.

McCoist who also hopes to land £4m striker Kyle Lafferty on a longer term contract admitted his interest in Sise saying : “We are hoping to get him over this week to have a look at him in training.”

Sise, of Gambian descent, is also attracting interest from German side Hansa Rostock but had already caught the eye of Rangers scout John Brown.

ì

We are hoping to get him over this week to have a look at him in training

î

Ally McCoist

Jelavic meanwhile netted 90 seconds after coming on and McCoist admitted he was surprised he was able to use him at all because he had to lock him in his hotel room all Saturday night.

The boss admitted: “He did really well because I asked him before the game how he was feeling and to be honest with you on Friday and even yesterday morning I didn’t think he had any chance of appearing at all.

“But he showed great spirit, he told me he wanted to come and be given an opportunity so he came to our hotel last night and locked himself away.He felt he could give us something from the bench, and did he not just do that?”

McCoist also believes Naismith is playing some of the best football of his career.

He added: “He’s quite a player in the respect that if you asked five or six people what his best position is you’d get two or three different answers.The great thing is he can play in a varied amount of positions.

“Here we played him just in front of Lee McCulloch and Steve Davis to do exactly what he did for the first goal.One of his strengths is arriving at the right time in the box and if he does that he’ll certainly chip in with more goals.

McCoist also praised his defence who have still to lose a goal on their SPL travels and keeper Allan McGregor who made a string of top saves to deny Rudi Skacel and Ryan Stevenson.

The Rangers boss added : “It was a great double save and I feel we have that wee bit of quality that can get us a goal or indeed make us a save at times.

“It’s vitally important that big players turn up for big games and I feel we certainly have big players, and up to now they have been turning up for big games.

“McGregor was fantastic and we got two great goals and two good finishes at the right time from two good players.The boys just take a pride in their defending, and that’s from the forwards back.

“I wouldn’t want to tempt fate and start going on about it but they are doing extremely well. We feel we have a good blend of experience, determination, all the qualities you need to defend. To win anything you need a solid defence and we feel we have that.

“But just as importantly we feel we have players who can nick us a goal up the other end and create one or two things. At this moment in time it is going alright.”

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/279261/Ally-eyes-Sise-as-Naisy-and-Jelavic-extend-Gers-gap-at-top

Whats the deal with this lad? Official site has a story from McCoist where they comment he was with Halmstads. Does this mean he's a free agent and able to sign immediately?

It appears that he is "out of contract". So it would seem he is a free agent. No harm in seeing what he is like and bringing him in for low wages.

Apparently he had a trial with AC Milan a couple of years ago. Obviously didnt win a deal but must have done something to get on their radar.

RANGERS trialist Joe Sise has what it takes to be the new John Carew.

That is the view of former Liverpool striker Ronnie Rosenthal, who recommended the Swedish under-21 international to Rangers.

The out-of-contract Hamstads frontman, 21, arrived in Glasgow yesterday to begin a weekâ??s trial at Ibrox, and to try and win a move to the Scottish champions.

Rosenthal believes Cise, who would cost around £300,000 in compensation, has the physical presence, pace and strength to be a massive hit in Scotland and is the mirror-image of the former Norway and Valencia star Carew.

Rosenthal said: â??Joe is a big striker. He first caught my eye when I saw him play for Sweden in an under-21 tournament. I would say you would describe him as a target man but he is also very quick for his size.

I would say you would describe Joe Sise as a target man but he is also very quick for his size

Former Liverpool striker Ronnie Rosenthal

â??He is very fast and has all the attributes to be a top class player. In some ways heâ??s a bit similar to Peter Crouch although Joe is probably a bit quicker than him. Maybe Joe is a bit more like John Carew when he was younger. John was big strong and quick when he first came on to the scene and he reminds me a bit about Joe.â?

The Israeli also believes that Rangers fans would be wrong to read too much into Ciseâ??s goal record. Rosenthal reckons the Swedeâ??s strike rate is decent in a struggling side but could really come to life if he was to join a title-chasing side.

â??Joe scored quite a few goals for Halmstads, but you also have to remember they have struggled in recent years and this season they ended up being relegated,â? Rosenthal insisted.

SEARCH FOOTBALL for:

â??He definitely has an eye for a goal. Last season he scored five in 18 games and this season he has scored five goals in thirteen games. He would definitely score a lot more goals at a bigger club. All he really needs is the chance to show people what he can do. He is still a very young player and has only played a couple of seasons at the highest level.â?

Rosenthal has been working as a player scout in recent seasons and it has been in that capacity that he recommended Sise to Rangers. He explained: â??Iâ??ve been in contact with Rangers quite a lot lately.

â??I know the financial perimeters that Rangers have to operate. They donâ??t have the same money as the clubs in England and so if I can help them and recommend a player that might benefit them then I am more than happy to do that. I know the Scottish league is very physical and I have no doubts Joe would have no problems fitting into the game up there.â?

Sise, who has previously been on trial with Serie A giants AC Milan, is expected to stay in Glasgow for the next week but if he doesnâ??t win a deal at Rangers then Rosenthal doesnâ??t expect him to be short of offers. German side Hansa Rostock have already declared an interest while AIK Stockholm are also monitoring his situation, along with clubs in Belgium and Holland.

â??Whatever happens I am certain that Joe will be playing at even higher level and I fully expect him to go on and become a full Swedish international. â?? added Rosenthal