Old firm rejects midweek fixtures call

EFFORTS by one of Scotlandâ??s most senior police officers to move Old Firm matches to midweek, have brought an angry reaction from Rangers and Celtic football clubs.

Strathclyde Chief Constable Stephen House believes the move would reduce football-related violence, particularly domestic abuse.

But both the Ibrox and Parkhead clubs say they should not be penalised for â??societyâ??s illsâ?.

SEE LATEST SCOTTISH NEWS ON TWITTER HERE

Figures show there were 142 incidents of domestic abuse last Sunday when Rangers played Celtic at Ibrox, which is more than double that of a match-free weekend.

But sources close to both clubs believe that the figures are being used to push the games to midweek and save the police money.

Senior football officials say any moving of games would impact on season ticket sales and cause difficulties for fans in Ireland attending.

A spokesman for Rangers said: â??It is wrong that clubs are unduly penalised for matters beyond their control.â?

ì

Figures show there were 142 incidents of domestic abuse last Sunday when Rangers played Celtic

î

A Celtic spokesman added: â??Once again, it would seem Celtic and Rangers are carrying the burden of societyâ??s ills.â? But Les Gray, chairman of the Scottish Police Federation, says playing games on weekdays will reduce crime.

He said: â??Midweek games attract far less criminality because people donâ??t have the opportunity to drink as much alcohol.â?

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/273771/Old-Firm-rejects-midweek-fixtures-call

What a load of shite,the bit in Bold,what planet does this guy live on?

The clubs probably won't have much choice if the increasingly politicised Strathclyde Police continue to force through their 'footprint' costs for local clubs.

In some ways, the alcohol point may be true for some midweek Old Firm games but for others (such as the one on the 28th December); I'd fancy a lot of people will take the next day off so would be just as drunk as if the game was on the Sunday.

Well most of them don't work so the midweek not as much time to get drunk is out the window. And the the game on the 28th is in the middle of a holiday week for most people I know so plenty of time to get drunk.

I take it a higher an average IQ is not needed to get to the upper echelons of the police these days.

And as for the domestic abuse bit I didn't know there is a certain time that wife beaters kick off from my experience anytime is slappytime if the F#*kwits fancy throwing their hands about.

Edited by GovanAllan

Yep, I'm of the opinion fans will be able to get even more durnk at the midweek game on the 28th. Instead of a 12:30 KO, they can drink all day because it's a 7:45 KO.

This is not the first time this has happened. The home internationals were pilliored down south for the drunkeness, mainly by Scottish fans and it was moved to a midweek fixture, then died a death resulting in it no longer happening at all.

I understand the authorities would like to see this happen, but what if domestic abuse did not reduce, by any significant amount, and the clubs were to lose money by reduced attendancies?

The police making this proposal, particularily in the present economic climate is very irresponsible and part of the self-importrance of our so-called leaders when faced with no other thought in their tiny brains.

Domestic violence is not the fault of football and if they really wanted to reduce that, they'd be better to spend some money of safe houses for victims to go to while the thug is prosecuted, and locked up.

Why do they not play all the old firm games inside Barlinne it will cut police costs and all us football criminals will feel at home.:colbert:

At the end of the day, the police will push this through. They could threaten not to send any resource to an OF game unless it's midweek.

Like I said earlier, if the police want midweek games then it'll happen.

At the end of the day, the police will push this through. They could threaten not to send any resource to an OF game unless it's midweek.

Like I said earlier, if the police want midweek games then it'll happen.

At least then no one will get arrested. Yes!

Just kidding Gav. I totally agree if the Police want it it will happen.

Agree with Dutchy, people will be able to drink longer for weekday matches. Cant see what difference it would make.

Im quite partial to a midweek OF game anyway but if its being dicated by other reasons then it just shows the control levels in UK are hitting new heights all the time. There has been an average of 4-6 OF games every season since the league started and trouble has probably dramatically reduced since the 60s, 70s and 80s yet during those times moving games wasnt mentioned, its just the establishment pushing for changes all the time now and football fans are being used. I dont think the average PC would even think to care about when the OF game is played.