Jela hands Gers an Old Firm boost

NIKICA JELAVIC has won his fight to be fit for Sunday's Old Firm showdown at Ibrox.

The 26-year-old Rangers striker missed the 1-0 win over Dundee United at the weekend and was considered a major doubt for the crunch clash against Celtic.

But in a major boost for Gers boss Ally McCoist, SunSport can reveal Jelavic has made a full recovery from a knee injury and WILL lead the line against Celts.

The Croat came back from international duty last week with a badly swollen knee.

But he reported for treatment at Murray Park yesterday and has now been given the all-clear by the Rangers medical staff.

The striker will resume full training this week with McCoist keen to pair him with in-form Kyle Lafferty in attack for the visit of Neil Lennon's Celtic.

After watching his side beat ten-man United at Tannadice on Saturday, McCoist confirmed: "We are very hopeful as regards Nikica now.

"He came off against Israel last week and his knee had puffed up slightly.

"Listen, he wanted to come up with us to Tannadice but I just felt it was right to leave him at home.

"We'll have a look at him over the next couple of days."

Gers â?? who sit top of the table going into the first Old Firm clash of the campaign â?? could also be boosted by the return of £1.5million summer signing from Hearts Lee Wallace.

The Scotland full-back has been nursing a hamstring injury and also missed Saturday's trip to Tannadice.

But Wallace and Bosnian defender Sasa Papac are BOTH expected to make Sunday's showdown.

McCoist revealed: "Lee Wallace had a tight hamstring so we'll assess him over the coming week.

"Sasa is another one who should come back into the squad.

"From my point of view, it was also great to get Lee McCulloch back against United.

"I thought Maurice Edu did well on Saturday but I wanted to get Lee some game time and I was delighted to be able to do that."

Meanwhile, former Gers boss Alex McLeish is set to test his old club's resolve by making another attempt in the January transfer window to lure midfielder Steven Davis back to Aston Villa.

The Ibrox side had no interest in selling Davis when Villa made a move for the Northern Ireland international last month.

But McLeish remains a huge admirer of Davis and is ready to find out just how serious Gers are to hold on to Davis when the transfer window re-opens in the New Year.

Davis started his career at Villa before joining Fulham for £4million in July 2007.

He moved to Rangers the following summer for £3m, after an initial loan spell, and signed a new five-year contract at Ibrox in the summer.

NIKICA JELAVIC has won his fight to be fit for Sunday's Old Firm showdown at Ibrox.

The 26-year-old Rangers striker missed the 1-0 win over Dundee United at the weekend and was considered a major doubt for the crunch clash against Celtic.

But in a major boost for Gers boss Ally McCoist, SunSport can reveal Jelavic has made a full recovery from a knee injury and WILL lead the line against Celts.

The Croat came back from international duty last week with a badly swollen knee.

But he reported for treatment at Murray Park yesterday and has now been given the all-clear by the Rangers medical staff.

The striker will resume full training this week with McCoist keen to pair him with in-form Kyle Lafferty in attack for the visit of Neil Lennon's Celtic.

After watching his side beat ten-man United at Tannadice on Saturday, McCoist confirmed: "We are very hopeful as regards Nikica now.

"He came off against Israel last week and his knee had puffed up slightly.

"Listen, he wanted to come up with us to Tannadice but I just felt it was right to leave him at home.

"We'll have a look at him over the next couple of days."

Gers — who sit top of the table going into the first Old Firm clash of the campaign — could also be boosted by the return of £1.5million summer signing from Hearts Lee Wallace.

The Scotland full-back has been nursing a hamstring injury and also missed Saturday's trip to Tannadice.

But Wallace and Bosnian defender Sasa Papac are BOTH expected to make Sunday's showdown.

McCoist revealed: "Lee Wallace had a tight hamstring so we'll assess him over the coming week.

"Sasa is another one who should come back into the squad.

"From my point of view, it was also great to get Lee McCulloch back against United.

"I thought Maurice Edu did well on Saturday but I wanted to get Lee some game time and I was delighted to be able to do that."

Meanwhile, former Gers boss Alex McLeish is set to test his old club's resolve by making another attempt in the January transfer window to lure midfielder Steven Davis back to Aston Villa.

The Ibrox side had no interest in selling Davis when Villa made a move for the Northern Ireland international last month.

But McLeish remains a huge admirer of Davis and is ready to find out just how serious Gers are to hold on to Davis when the transfer window re-opens in the New Year.

Davis started his career at Villa before joining Fulham for £4million in July 2007.

He moved to Rangers the following summer for £3m, after an initial loan spell, and signed a new five-year contract at Ibrox in the summer.

10 million and you can have him Alex.

Good news and bad news. Great to have Jelavic back but needs a partner and the way McCoist is talking about McCulloch means he is almost first pick, never in doubt tbh. It also means it wont be 2 up top.

Also McLeish might try and throw Cuellar into the mix but he could be on a free by the next window.

Good news and bad news. Great to have Jelavic back but needs a partner and the way McCoist is talking about McCulloch means he is almost first pick, never in doubt tbh. It also means it wont be 2 up top.

Also McLeish might try and throw Cuellar into the mix but he could be on a free by the next window.

My thoughts too, reading that and thinking all good Jela back after a weeks rest put the yahoo to the sword then the ominous line it was good to get Lee back. Simply put if he plays Lee we lose.

I suspect it will be a 4-5-1 formation as well, but I hope it is played properly and opens up into a 4-3-3 when we have the ball as septic's defence are their weak point and we need to show just how weak they are.

Of course, playing at home seems to be our weak point, so I expect a tough one come Sunday.