Wallace boost for Gers after Bartley blow

Lee Wallace is set to hand Rangers a major fitness boost as he sets his sights on the first Old Firm derby of the season.

Wallace has not played for the champions since last monthâ??s Europa League clash with Maribor after picking up a hamstring injury.

Gers boss Ally McCoist has already lost Kyle Bartley for the derby clash after the Arsenal loan star underwent a double hernia operation yesterday, but Dorin Goian is expected to be fit for Saturdayâ??s trip to Tannadice.

And Wallace hopes he can be fighting fit to make his Old Firm bow against Celtic at Ibrox on Sunday week. â??It has been frustrating to be out recently but these things happen,â? he told Blues News.

â??Iâ??m working hard with the physios and Iâ??m aiming to be back as soon as possible, but Iâ??ve just had to be a bit careful after being out for a long while last season. The Celtic game is a huge one for the club and thatâ??s certainly one Iâ??d look to be involved in if I can be.

â??When you come to a club like this, thatâ??s the type of match you want to take part in. Itâ??s massive for both sides and, when you win, itâ??s just great.

â??I want to be a part of it all and, although it has been tough for the manager with the bad luck weâ??ve had lately with injuries, I hope to be back for that one.

â??Weâ??re all racing to be back fit again and my personal aim is probably to return in time for the Old Firm game. I just need to work hard and get back for that.â?

Meanwhile, Ibrox midfielder Kyle Hutton is at the centre of a three-club tug-of-war after his loan move to Sheffield United fell through.

Hutton and team-mate John Fleck were expected to make a loan switch to the League One club, but the paperwork was not completed in time to beat the transfer deadline.

Irn-Bru First Division trio Partick Thistle, Falkirk and Dundee are keen to take Hutton on a three-month emergency loan, while the Jags have also expressed an interest in Fleck.

On the international front, there were wins for Rangers stars in action for Scotland, Australia, Croatia and Bosnia.

Steven Naismith scored the only goal as Craig Leveinâ??s Scotland earned a 1-0 win over Lithuania at Hampden, with Steven Whittaker and Allan McGregor also completing 90 minutes.

Australia continued their 100 per cent start to their World Cup qualification campaign with Matt McKay completing 90 minutes in a 3-1 win over Saudi Arabia.

Croatia beat Israel 3-1 to leap-frog Greece at the top of their Euro 2012 group. Nikica Jelavic played 87 minutes for the Croats and was originally credited with their third goal, before it was given to Eduardo.

Jelavic and his team- mates will now face a crucial clash with the Greeks next month which could settle the winners of their group.

Sasa Papac played in Bosniaâ??s 1-0 win over Belarus, while Dorin Goian helped Romania to a 0-0 home draw with France.

But it was a bad night for Steven Davis and David Healy as Northern Ireland slumped to a 4-1 defeat in Estonia, while Mo Edu and Carlos Bocan- egra played in Americaâ??s 1-0 friendly loss in Belgium.

Meanwhile, former Fulham, Spurs and Sunderland star Steed Malbranque was today linked with a move to Rangers after tearing up his contract with St Etienne.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/...blow-1.1122284

Edit/Delete Message

I hope he's back, but I don't want him trying too hard to return before being fully fit, then ending up with a longer term injury. I've no idea what his injury history is like.