Scotland v Lithuania, Euro 2012 Group I qualifier

Venue: Hampden Park, Glasgow

Date: 6 September 2011

Kick-off: 2000 BST

Coverage: BBC Radio Scotland, BBC Sport website, highlights online and on BBC 1 Scotland 2235 BST

David Goodwillie will make first start for Scotland against Lithuania

Craig Levein has backed David Goodwillie to handle the pressure of making his first international start against Lithuania on Tuesday.

Goodwillie will win his second cap in the Euro 2012 qualifier with Levein's striking options limited.

Kenny Miller is out through suspension, while a back injury has ruled out Craig Mackail-Smith.

"What an opportunity for a young lad to get a chance to play in a game of this magnitude," the Scotland manager said.

"Technically he has the ability and also knowing him personally he won't be fazed by the size of this game.

"I put David Goodwillie in the squad for a reason - that's because I feel he's capable of playing international football.

Scotland coach Craig Levein Injury and suspension have forced Levein to make changes

"David would sit third in the pecking order and what a great opportunity for him.

"If I'm David Goodwillie it's an exciting time for me."

The 22-year-old Blackburn player is the only other listed forward in the squad and has played just 14 minutes of international football previously, as a substitute in a friendly win over the Faroe Islands last year.

Meanwhile, Charlie Adam has returned to Liverpool after coming off during Saturday's 2-2 draw against the Czech Republic due to a hip flexor problem, but Levein has Steven Whittaker available again after suspension and Grant Hanley back following a bout of tonsilitis.

Rangers full-back Whittaker may well be needed with both Alan Hutton and Phil Bardsley doubtful for the game.

Left-back Bardsley was substituted just before the Czechs netted their first equaliser and Hutton was suffering after his first competitive game of the season.

Levein, who will delay naming his team until tomorrow, said: "The other two who are a little bit doubtful are Phil Bardsley, who came off on Saturday with adead leg, and Alan Hutton has a tight groin but I think he will be okay."

Despite the call-offs, the Scotland manager has chosen not to call up any replacements.

"I thought about it but I put 25 players in the squad," he said. "We have lost a few but I still feel we have lots of options so I'm comfortable."

Midfielder Scott Brown will also miss the must-win match through suspension.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/14782670.stm

As much as I want to see Scotland win I do believe they have had their last chance by not beating the Czech Republic.

The runners-up from Group I will go into a play-off for Euro 2012 regardless of their points total.

But to finish in second place, Scotland need to win their three remaining matches against Lithuania, Liechtenstein and Spain, and hope the Czech Republic drop points in their two final games.

If the Czechs win one and draw one of those games, at home to Spain and away to Lithuania, they would still progress to Poland and Ukraine if the Scots take nine points.

The rivals would finish level on 14 points and the Czechs would go through by merit of their head-to-head record.

If Michal Bilekââ?¬â?¢s team lose both their games ââ?¬â?? and they lost to Lithuania at home and Spain away ââ?¬â?? and Craig Leveinââ?¬â?¢s side win two of their last three games, then we will progress.

If Tomas Rosicky and Co. draw their remaining two games they would move to 12 points and Scotland would not make it if they win two and draw one of their fixtures.

The 1-0 defeat the national team suffered in Prague last year could well prove costly to our hopes of reaching a major finals for the first time since France in 1998.

I literally do not know what to expect from this match. This regime is inconsistent at best albeit a distinct improvement over the Burley shambles. At least I actually support Scotland again.

I am expecting a win,tbh. But it is all over, again,for this campaign and I'm starting think who will be the next Scotland manager??.

As far as I'm concderned, we're out of this competion and we'd be best to try some new things to hone any potential players or shapes( not 6-4 though )for the world campaign.

Still, I'll pop along to the pub to see it and hope we can win it, for coefficient points, if nothing else.

I'm sticking with a no surrender attitude because if we win our next two games we've still got a chance if we get something in Spain. Spain are an amazing side, but they're not impossible to beat because nothing is impossible. I remember the Swiss beating them at the World Cup in South Africa. Beating them just requires a game plan to try and stop them playing the way they like to and a wee slice of luck.

If we don't win this even with injuries and suspension it will be total abject failure and the manager seriously needs to be looked at, Lithuania are pish, how we didn't win over there I'll never know. Liechtenstein got 4 points out of 6 from them and we scraped by Liechtenstein. This group was quite good bar Spain but another failure imo. 4-6-0 a prime example of what were you thinking?

I am expecting a win,tbh. But it is all over, again,for this campaign and I'm starting think who will be the next Scotland manager??.

I think we will sneak a win by 1 goal. However I think Levein will be kept in the job regardless, the SFA will use the excuse 'its time for stability rather than chopping and changing' and they will keep him on which is a depressing thought.

I like Zappa'a enthusism, 6 pts from Lithuania and Leichtenstein is achievable (just) and then it comes down to Spain doing us a favour against the Czechs plus us hoping to get something in Spain. Cant see it myself though.