Matt McKay interview coming up soon

Given Craig Moore recommended him to Rangers I would think that he has a fair bit on the line if this guy is mince. His reputation for one. And given that Moore owns, or is heavily involved, in coaching players over in Oz his reputation would take a bit of a battering. And also, given it was Moore's recommendation I would think it is a bit more than just "positive spin".

You also think that McCoist doesnt have a decent enough relationship with Ferguson, or that Ferguson is some kind of shrinking violet, that if Ferguson felt that McKay wasnt good enough then he wouldnt say so to McCoist ? Ferguson would, in my opinion, be quite blunt about it. Could be wrong though.

What do Miller & Ferguson have to gain by just putting positive spin on a guy who hadnt even signed ? If they felt he wasnt good enough then surely they would have said he wasnt what Rangers need ?

When I said "a very decent player" I said it because I didnt know what the exact phrase was. But am pretty sure Moore said he would be a good addition.

And, finally, if your mate considered him to be "not even Brisbane's best or 2nd best player" explain to me why his fellow pro's in the A league considered him good enough to captain the player's union team of the season ? Admittedly, Brisbane had 7 players in that team of the season but he was deemed worthy enough to be made captain. Yes, it could have been that he was made captain due to him being captain of the club side, but equally could have been because he was simply good enough and one of the better players.

Could it be that your mate only watched a couple of games and that McKay was off form ? Could it be that your mate likes a certain type of player and McKay isnt that type of player ?

All I'm saying is that people seem to be getting a tad over excited about a player who a) they've never seen play, b) we bought for �£300k and c) has played in Australia all of playing days and I reckon that the Australian teams would do well in the SPL.

BTW, not trying to be harsh to your friend Gav. He has seen what he has seen and doesnt believe McKay to be that great. Which obviously is his prerogative.

Hopefully though, as I am sure you agree, he is proven wrong.

I also agree with Danny that people shouldnt get over-excited when someone hasnt even played for us.

I always reserve judgement on players until I have seen them a few times for us. Some very good players struggle in the SPL and some very average ones turn out to be good signings. Players can play well (or poorly) dependent upon the style of play in the league, the team-mates, opponents, formation, tactics etc etc. Which is why it is ALWAYS best to reserve judgement until we see them having played with us for a while.

True enough. And Brisbane was not exactly happy to let him go that cheaply either. But you have to beware of the small print on contracts these days. The Aussies, much like the US of A usually have well drilled and fit people with some technical ability and eye for football.

On a sidenote, once again we sign a "captain" of a team up.

Got to side with Craig here. I'll take the word of our ex players who've said he can be a good signing over some random guy who's watched a couple of Brisbane games any day of the week. If we were spending millions and there was even the slightest chance of an ex player making money out of a deal, then I wouldn't be so trustworthy, but when it's only just over �£300k I don't see any reason to be doubtful that McKay can be a good aquisition if he settles here and fits in well. I'll wait till we have a proper look at him in action between now and xmas, but I'm hopeful that he can keep bill and ben the flower pot men out of the team (otherwise known as hawd it 'n' dawd it).

All I'm saying is that people seem to be getting a tad over excited about a player who a) they've never seen play, b) we bought for �£300k and c) has played in Australia all of playing days and I reckon that the Australian teams would do well in the SPL.

Yeah, I agree with that too. The only time to tell if he is decent is when he has actually played for us.

Lest we all forget how great Sebo looked on Youtube......

I don't see anybody creaming their pants at him signing for Rangers for a start.And going by the same token why put a downer on him before he has even kicked a ball for Rangers?. But I'll go with Craig on this as well,I will trust ex professionals/ex Rangers players judgement before any supporter,also he is another Captain joining the Rangers,now that doesn't make him a great player but it also doesn't make him a bad player but I do think he will improve our team as will the other signings.Time will tell of course.