Matt McKay interview coming up soon

Think this guy will be a great signing for us.

Don't know if you listened to the interview,but it was fairly normal,but he is excited about getting here and looking to hit the ground running and mentioning the game against the BHEASTS being 2 weeks?,Ithink he said,after he arrives and wants to play a part in that.

I also think he will prove to be a good signing,time will tell of course.

I forgot all about this guy, our new player who we are yet to see. I've only heard good things about him and hope he has half the ability claimed for him as that should be more than enough to get us the title.

A mate of mine set off for Australia about 3 years ago with the intention of being back here a year later. He's still out there having met a chick and found himself a decent job which pays good money. As a supporter of Rangers and football in general he's been watching the Aussie football (soccer) and takes in the odd match here and there in Sydney where he's set up home with his bint, Sheila.

When I found out we were chasing McKay I sent him an email and after good week or two he eventually replied. Basically, he's saying that McKay is nothing special and even in a poor league, doesn't stand out. He has a good left foot but always wants to try the defence splitting pass rather than keeping possession if said defence splitting pass isn't on. Sound familiar?

He also said that he's not even the 1st or 2nd best player in the Brisbane team.

Time will tell how he takes to Scottish football and how good a player he is but some people are getting way ahead of themselves on here. I'll trust my mate over a few YouTube clips any day of the week.

A mate of mine set off for Australia about 3 years ago with the intention of being back here a year later. He's still out there having met a chick and found himself a decent job which pays good money. As a supporter of Rangers and football in general he's been watching the Aussie football (soccer) and takes in the odd match here and there in Sydney where he's set up home with his bint, Sheila.

When I found out we were chasing McKay I sent him an email and after good week or two he eventually replied. Basically, he's saying that McKay is nothing special and even in a poor league, doesn't stand out. He has a good left foot but always wants to try the defence splitting pass rather than keeping possession if said defence splitting pass isn't on. Sound familiar?

He also said that he's not even the 1st or 2nd best player in the Brisbane team.

Time will tell how he takes to Scottish football and how good a player he is but some people are getting way ahead of themselves on here. I'll trust my mate over a few YouTube clips any day of the week.

Whilst some of us will trust the opinions of people like Craig Moore, Ian Ferguson, Charlie Miller & Bob Malcolm (OK, maybe not Bob) over your mate any day of the week. All of whom have said he is a very decent player.

"Taking in the odd game or two" is hardly justification of forming a lasting opinion on a player.

Whilst some of us will trust the opinions of people like Craig Moore, Ian Ferguson, Charlie Miller & Bob Malcolm (OK, maybe not Bob) over your mate any day of the week. All of whom have said he is a very decent player.

"Taking in the odd game or two" is hardly justification of forming a lasting opinion on a player.

A "very decent player" doesn't fill me with much confidence.

Watching the odd game here or there is better than people getting all wet and excited after watching a YouTube clip. Of course the names you mentioned will say he's a good player, they're all Rangers related and although my mate is a Rangers fan, why should he tell me anything other than the truth? Would you expect Ian Ferguson, Charlie Miller and Craig Moore to turn round and say "he's no bad"?

Positive spin. It's a bit like listening to politicians, they'll tell you what you want to hear.

Edited by Gazza_8

I'm on Gav's m8's side tbh for now. Just because someone used to play for us doesn't make them a great judge of player.

I stand by what I originally said - a 28 year old who's played in Australia most his career doesn't fill me with excitement.

I will of course be won over if what I see on the pitch contradicts this, as has been the case with Lee Wallace.

But for now consider me a skeptic.

I'm on Gav's m8's side tbh for now. Just because someone used to play for us doesn't make them a great judge of player.

I was positive this comment would be made by someone. I dont disagree with it. But, and it is a big but, you are quite happy to take the word of someone who has "watched the odd game or two" over that of 3 or 4 seasoned, experienced professionals who have watched and played with the guy professionally ? And I am not suggesting because they played for us makes them a good judge of player. But given they have trained AND played with the guy AND that they know what it takes to make it professionally.... should really mean that they have more knowledge that Gav's mate (no offence Gav).

Again, that is your prerogative but, until I see someone play for us to make my own judgement, I would prefer to take the word of those seasoned professionals before I take the word of someone who has nothing more than a passing interest in the game. Again, taking nothing away from Gav's mate - but with nothing better to go on I would prefer to go on what those with experience say.

I stand by what I originally said - a 28 year old who's played in Australia most his career doesn't fill me with excitement.

As is your prerogative. But we have had players before who have done little prior to coming to us and went on to be very decent servants. Many were under-enthused by us signing Rod Wallace, he didnt turn out too shabby.

I will of course be won over if what I see on the pitch contradicts this, as has been the case with Lee Wallace.

As should anyone. I am neither excited nor deflated by McKay signing - I reserve my judgement for how they perform in a Rangers jersey - not before.

But for now consider me a skeptic.

You, surely not ?

A "very decent player" doesn't fill me with much confidence.

Watching the odd game here or there is better than people getting all wet and excited after watching a YouTube clip. Of course the names you mentioned will say he's a good player, they're all Rangers related and although my mate is a Rangers fan, why should he tell me anything other than the truth? Would you expect Ian Ferguson, Charlie Miller and Craig Moore to turn round and say "he's no bad"?

Positive spin. It's a bit like listening to politicians, they'll tell you what you want to hear.

Given Craig Moore recommended him to Rangers I would think that he has a fair bit on the line if this guy is mince. His reputation for one. And given that Moore owns, or is heavily involved, in coaching players over in Oz his reputation would take a bit of a battering. And also, given it was Moore's recommendation I would think it is a bit more than just "positive spin".

You also think that McCoist doesnt have a decent enough relationship with Ferguson, or that Ferguson is some kind of shrinking violet, that if Ferguson felt that McKay wasnt good enough then he wouldnt say so to McCoist ? Ferguson would, in my opinion, be quite blunt about it. Could be wrong though.

What do Miller & Ferguson have to gain by just putting positive spin on a guy who hadnt even signed ? If they felt he wasnt good enough then surely they would have said he wasnt what Rangers need ?

When I said "a very decent player" I said it because I didnt know what the exact phrase was. But am pretty sure Moore said he would be a good addition.

And, finally, if your mate considered him to be "not even Brisbane's best or 2nd best player" explain to me why his fellow pro's in the A league considered him good enough to captain the player's union team of the season ? Admittedly, Brisbane had 7 players in that team of the season but he was deemed worthy enough to be made captain. Yes, it could have been that he was made captain due to him being captain of the club side, but equally could have been because he was simply good enough and one of the better players.

Could it be that your mate only watched a couple of games and that McKay was off form ? Could it be that your mate likes a certain type of player and McKay isnt that type of player ?