Maribor - 1 chance, 1 goal. Rangers 26 chances, 1 goal.

Guest Smug Bluenose

Johnny, Gav's just at the wind-up again. Happens almost every time we get a bad result. He obviously gets some sort of perverse pleasure from it. It must be the copper mentality - kick you when you're down... :sneaky:

If this was a lower European league of 10 clubs (a bit like the Atlantic League) playing each other four times, I think it would be a bad start but we'd have time and ability to bounce back and finish above those two.

Unfortunately it's cup games and we're not of a level high enough to almost guarantee a win. These clubs are better than the also rans of the SPL and we sometimes lose to them.

Our main crime is to lose two cup ties in succession.

One silver lining could be that Whyte will surely see that we really need to speculate to accumulate. We still need a couple of big signings - marquee players (well for us) that can make that difference between creating lots of chances and actually putting a couple away - every time.

Celtic had that in Larsson and their European record was so much better then. Unfortunately for us, Laudrup and Gazza weren't so reliable in Europe. However, we can't afford that kind of quality, but we need as good as we can possibly afford.

Johnny, Gav's just at the wind-up again. Happens almost every time we get a bad result. He obviously gets some sort of perverse pleasure from it. It must be the copper mentality - kick you when you're down... :sneaky:

Johnny, Gav's not just at the wind-up again.

Guest Dutchy

We were shite, pure and simple. Next year we may not be shite, but then again we might.

If there's one thing we have to start doing it is to lessen the amount of respect to these clubs. I know and have heard all the arguements about having to prepare properly and be careful, but if you start your preperations from an insubordinate position, you have a higher mountain to climb.

Maribor are crap,but they beat us, why???

Because we worried too much about what they were going to do instead of concentrating on what we were going to do to them.

We were shite, pure and simple. Next year we may not be shite, but then again we might.

If there's one thing we have to start doing it is to lessen the amount of respect to these clubs. I know and have heard all the arguements about having to prepare properly and be careful, but if you start your preperations from an insubordinate position, you have a higher mountain to climb.

Maribor are crap,but they beat us, why???

Because we worried too much about what they were going to do instead of concentrating on what we were going to do to them.

Agreed there is too much respect for European Teams whether they are Malmo or Valencia, they seem to get the same amount of respect. Ok I would give respect for Valencia but you have to say we have better players than Malmo, it didn't show by the result. We do not need to set the team out for a respectful 4-5-1 but because we did well with the previous manager it is still in the mind. Also not let them pass the ball about freely get in about them. That is what Barca do so well play a high line and challenge every ball and eventually get the ball back plus their passing and movement but that is well out of our league if we do a quarter of what they do we would be onto a winner in some senses.

Guest Dutchy

There could be more pain in store for us in the shape of humilation at the teams that have defeated us. Malmo were crushed 4-1 I think in their first leg CL qualifier. I later thought I saw them 2-0 up in the return at their home, although I've not checked the final result.

What's the betting that Maribor come bottom of their group?

There could be more pain in store for us in the shape of humilation at the teams that have defeated us. Malmo were crushed 4-1 I think in their first leg CL qualifier. I later thought I saw them 2-0 up in the return at their home, although I've not checked the final result.

What's the betting that Maribor come bottom of their group?

Malmo had a man advantage again when a Zagreb player got sent off.

Good chance Maribor will be bottom as there is a good chance Malmo will come bottom in their Europa League group.