Ally on Cuellar, Miller, Rodriguez and Lafferty

Rangers have agreed a fee with Aston Villa for Carlos Cuellar, who will now decide whether to return to Ibrox.

Defender Cuellar left Glasgow for Villa Park in 2008 but new Rangers manager Ally McCoist hopes the 29-year-old can be persuaded to rejoin.

"There's a fee been agreed with Aston Villa in terms of Carlos Cuellar," McCoist told BBC Sport.

"We're very, very hopeful we can finalise a deal with Carlos himself and get that one over the line."

McCoist is also considering bringing striker Kenny Miller back to Rangers from Turkish side Bursaspor and a move for Espanyol defender Raul Rodriguez is still on-going.

I'm very, very keen, as are the rest of the management staff to get some fresh faces in to help the players that are in there

"We haven't spoken to Bursaspor but at this stage we wouldn't rule anything out at all," said McCoist.

"They (Espanyol) haven't got back to our fax that we sent them but we'll be pushing that one again.

"Rumour has it that their sporting director said that the bid wasn't enough but they haven't got back to us as a club yet but we'll certainly be making contact in the next 24-48 hours."

"Obviously there's one or two others. We're working tirelessly to get three or four players into the squad, which I'm sure we will.

"We've got five, six or even seven players that we're in contact with at the moment and hopefully within the next three or four days we'll get them over the line.

"I'm very, very keen, as are the rest of the management staff, to get some fresh faces in to help the players that are in there."

Meanwhile, McCoist has played down reports about Burnley's possible interest in re-signing Ibrox forward Kyle Lafferty, who is currently injured.

"That's news to me but Kyle won't be going anywhere," McCoist added.

"Kyle's a very important player to us, he's going absolutely nowhere."

So we haven't made contact with Bursaspor about Miller, we are waiting to hear from Cuellar, Lafferty's staying, and Espanyol are ignoring us.