FC Twente Stadium Collapsed

Shocking - quite simply this shouldn't happen with the standard of manufacturing we're used to these days. 1998 it was built. Never should have collapsed.

Wasn't the stand that collapsed under construction?

Pete should be able to shed more light on this.

Okay there was 1 dead and 15 injured where 1 person is still in a critical state. It is not yet known why the roof caved in. The first reports that a crane caused the accident have been denied by the company who were running them. They say that the cranes were not even in motion at the time the roof collapsed. The Police have cordoned everything off and have confiscated all offices and building plans of the company carrying out the work. They hope to know more and release a statement tomorrow. The man who died was a 31 year old from Nijverdal.

The Grolsch Veste before and after. You can pull the bar across the photo.

http://www.tctubantia.nl/regio/9073265/De-Grolsch-Veste%3A-voor-en-na.ece

Edited by pete

I know this may sound a bit morose or morbid.... but, seriously, thank fuck it didnt happen during the regular season or this would have had catastophe written all over it, much as though I recognise that it is a tragedy as it is.

I know this may sound a bit morose or morbid.... but, seriously, thank fuck it didnt happen during the regular season or this would have had catastophe written all over it, much as though I recognise that it is a tragedy as it is.

Not morbid at all Craig you are just telling the truth. If this would have happened with 10.000 supporters under it then it probably would have been the biggest football disaster of all time.

There's no way this should have happened. It's either the result of sloppy workmanship from the builders on-site or the result of poor structural design. Either way, if anyone is to blame it's definitely the construction company because they are responsible for the on-site builders and the structural engineering aspect of the design. There's absolutely no way that steal beam or nut & bolt manufacturers could be blamed for such a construction failing. It just couldn't happen without mistakes made by the construction company.

There's no way this should have happened. It's either the result of sloppy workmanship from the builders on-site or the result of poor structural design. Either way, if anyone is to blame it's definitely the construction company because they are responsible for the on-site builders and the structural engineering aspect of the design. There's absolutely no way that steal beam or nut & bolt manufacturers could be blamed for such a construction failing. It just couldn't happen without mistakes made by the construction company.

I am no expert but I always thought that construction companies built in accordance with the building plans as provided by the structural engineers i.e. the experts in ensuring the structure has been designed and CAN withstand the pressure and weight being placed upon it.

I wouldnt have thought that was the responsibility of the construction company.

There could be multiple entities culpable in this. Could be a manufacturing default, could be poor construction and could also be poor design.

As i say, I am no expert so happy to be proven incorrect.

Craig, the construction company are responsible for reviewing the design and agreeing to build it. No well-run company would agree to build a design that they don't think will be safe. The construction company are the ones contracted to build the structure and even if they sub-contract design work to structural engineers the responsibility will ultimately still be theirs.

My guess is that this isn't about poor design or manufacturing though and if it gets blamed on a dodgy steal beam or bolt or something it'll smell very very fishy.