Davis should sign soon

Steven Davis has been offered a new five-year contract to stay at Rangers and could sign with the club by the end of the week.

STV understands the midfielder, who was bought from Fulham in 2008 after an initial loan spell, is happy with the length of the deal on offer but both parties are currently negotiating the finer details of the contract.

Rangers sources are optimistic the 26-year-old will become the latest of the current first team squad to commit to the club, with Allan McGregor, Steven Whittaker, David Healy, Andrew Little and Salim Kerkar all signing new deals.

Davis has one year left to run on his current deal and his representatives have been in talks with Rangers over the last few weeks, despite reported interest from clubs willing to take him back to England.

Since arriving at the club three years ago, Davis has played 146 times, winning the Scottish Premier League and Scottish League Cup three times respectively, while also tasting success in the Scottish Cup on two occasions.

Prior to moving to Scotland, Davis spent six months with Fulham, having moved from Aston Villa in July 2007. At international level, he has been capped 46 times for Northern Ireland, scoring twice.

No matter what I personally think in the case of Whittaker, it's good work from the club and Ally in particular to retain so many of our marquee players. Davis is vitally important and showed his true class after the split last season. I just hope, assuming he signs, that he can improve his year-round form to a level closer to the last 5 games.

I think it's also encouraging the length of contracts being offered/accepted by the players. Todays news is good stuff. I'm a little more encouraged now. Would still like to see a couple of additions though :devil: