I wonder if FIFA/ Uefa will be quick enough to throw the book at Celtic as quick as they did with us or will it simply fall on deaf ears and be swept under the carpet!

This is under the jurisdiction of the SPL & SFA - in fact I believe it would just be the SFA as it was the Cup.

FIFA & UEFA, as far as I know, dont have jurisdiction over it.

We got done because it was in European competition.

Guest Dutchy

It doesn't matter who is responsible for taking septic to task for their singing, it's a matter of, if no action is taken, how can anyone believe the Scottish Parliment's bleating on the subject, and being agreed by all folks involved with running Scottish football?

I suggest if no action is taken, all Rangers fans keep there heads and don't resort to bringing the club's name to more attention by screaming bigotrous abuse at anyone.

It's them that will break the spell of poor wee put upon Irishmen.

That really is quality Zappa. Awesome !

Wish I could take credit for it mate because it's class, but I found it on RM and the guy who posted it there said he pinched it from Vanguard Bears, so I can only assume that one of the VB guys did it. Brilliant stuff anyway! :D

Poster on kiddyfiddlerstreet letter of complaint to the BBC

For what its worth this was my complaint letter to the BBC, would also advise anyone complaining to follow up with Ofcom.

Dear Sir

Having attended yesterday’s Scottish Cup Final at Hampden, Saturday 21st May 2011 I decided to watch the match the following morning from a recording of your live broadcast on BBC1 Scotland.

Whilst viewing the half time analysis I was shocked and saddened by the inaccurate, careless and uneducated statements made by your match analysts Rob McLean and Pat Nevin, in relation to the alleged sectarian singing by the Celtic support.

At this stage I would also like to point out the comments were both slanderous and in breach of Ofcom’s ‘Programme Standards Agreement’ as outlined in Section 319’, standards which the BBC are required to observe and maintain to the highest degree.

Ofcom Programme Standards

“Refraining from the use of techniques which exploit the possibility of conveying a message to viewers or listeners, or of otherwise influencing their minds, without their being aware ,or fully aware, of what has occurred;

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/files/2010/06/Memorandum-of-Understanding-between-The-Office-of-Communications-Ofcom-and-the-BBC-Trust.pdf

I would now like to refer you to the inaccurate statement as made by Rob McLean during the live broadcast of the half time analysis

"I'd love to go through a football show without mentioning the word "sectarian" but I feel we are going to have to at half-time because those outside that can hear the songs being sung, tell me that the Celtic supporters have been singing some sectarian songs during the first half despite Celtic going very public with their intimation that they wanted it completely stamped out. Lots of publicity for Rangers, punishment for Rangers from UEFA as well, it seems as if it is happening outside from the Celtic supporters".

On the basis of the above statement I would like to formally issue a complaint to the BBC, a complaint which I will be following up with Ofcom.

I would like clarification on the following points in relation to the inaccurate and misleading comments made by Rob McLean live on air

1.Why were the presenters allowed to broadcast uncorroborated information whilst simultaneously admitting the 2nd hand information came ‘from those outside’ the studio, and not hearing the alleged singing themselves? Is this standard BBC reporting practice for live broadcasting?

2.Who within the BBC decided what Songs are Sectarian and those that are not?

3.If the lawmakers of the land and Strathclyde police during their recent anti sectarian summit were unable to add to already banned sectarian songs can you please clarify who within the BBC drew up your own list of Sectarian songs and what measures were taken to ensure accuracy and impartially?

4.Mr McLean alleges that ‘some sectarian songs’ were sung by the Celtic Support and not mere ‘chants’. Can someone within the BBC please provide the titles of these songs or at the very least the lyrics to the sectarian songs in question?

5.Mr McLean in his statement claimed that ‘Celtic going very public with their intimation that they wanted it completely stamped out’. I can only assume that Mr McLean was inaccurately referring to Neil Lennon’s statement on ‘offensive chanting’ as reported on your very own BBC website (Link below). Again Mr McLean’s statement was inaccurate and misleading as at no point in the Celtic Manager’s interview did the he refer to songs of a ‘Sectarian’ nature only those that were offensive and unacceptable. As Mr Lennon was not forthcoming with a list of ‘sectarian songs’ can the BBC advise where they drew their conclusions from?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13430517.stm ‘It’ being sectarian singing.

6.Mr McLean finishes his statement with the following, “Lots of publicity for Rangers, punishment for Rangers from UEFA as well, it seems as if it is happening outside from the Celtic supporters". Can someone please explain why Mr McLean felt the need to discuss Rangers Football Club and their well-publicised punishments despite Rangers not playing?

I would now like to refer you back to Ofcom’s Programme Standard statement.

“Refraining from the use of techniques which exploit the possibility of conveying a message to viewers or listeners, or of otherwise influencing their minds, without their being aware ,or fully aware, of what has occurred”

As the BBC has yet to issue or communicate what the corporation deems as ‘sectarian’ in relation to football songs sung in Scotland one can only assume that the statement made by Rob McLean is one of a personal opinion and not one based on fact or law. Considering Mr McLean never heard the songs in question he could not be ‘fully aware of what had occurred’ and as a consequence neither could the viewing public, yet the impression he gave was both misleading and inaccurate and as a consequence in breach of BBC/Ofcom programme standards.

As outlined above if lawmakers and politicians were unable to draw up a comprehensive list of ‘sectarian’ songs then one can only assume that the songs sung by the Celtic support at the very worst could be deemed as offensive but most importantly were of a ‘non-sectarian’ nature.

By attempting to draw perceived parallels in the reprimanded and sanctioned Rangers Support to that of the Celtic support on Saturday Mr Mclean and the BBC were also guilty of “conveying a message’ to influence the minds’ of the viewing public, once more breaching Ofcom’s Programme Standards and the impartiality of the BBC as a whole.

Having attended football matches in Scotland for over 20 years I have experienced the failures in Scottish society at first hand and strongly believe sectarianism is not being addressed in an appropriate or adequate manner.

The Celtic support does have its issues but the misleading, inaccurate and uneducated reporting I witnessed on the BBC fell far short of what I have come to expect from the broadcaster.

What I saw and heard yesterday was the attempted sectarianisation of the entire Celtic support by one man’s statement, this is abhorrent and wholly unacceptable.

I would like to finish by asking that my complaint and points are fully addressed and handled with the respect and severity it deserves and not in the same fashion as that of a disgruntled football fan. Sectarianism is not a football problem it’s society’s problem.

I look forward to hearing from you in the near future.

Kind Regards

SeanBonJovi

Its funny eh, the moment the Celtic support are brought to task on their sectarian singing they immediately jump on the defensive and start spurting shite and wanting to make complaints! I guess the guys in the BBC studio weren't sitting with ear muffs on and you could clearly hear the vile IRA filth coming down from the stands! Throw the book at them I say!!!