Did losing to Celtic & PSV make our season?

This thought occurs to me on cup final day. Thinking back to how we collapsed near the end of the season in 2008 with a much bigger squad I don't think there's any way the current Rangers squad could have gone all the way or even much further in all four competitions. Losing the two games freed us to concentrate on the real target for the season and allowed us to finish the season really, really strongly. Losing at Porkheed also had a good double effect we didn't realise at the time, it made them a bit complacent and made us extra determined by the time we showed up at Hampden for the league cup final. Writen off by everybody we gave a performance which turned the season on it's head. Make no mistake about it, that defeat rocked them seriously back on their heels and gave us the momentum to go and finish the job.

Sore though it is to watch them probably winning the cup today I reckon it was a price worth paying for the league title.

It's a good point and anyone could be forgiven for thinking that we didn't even try to win the Scottish Cup game at Celtic Park. It certainly seemed that way to me given that Walter didn't even try to have a go at them with our strikers. We had at least 2 strikers sitting on the bench who stayed on the bench. We simply didn't even attempt to win.

Not really sore about them winning the cup. Didn't even know til well after FT. We won the double, including the big one. Everything else is unimportant by comparison (though of course i'd prefer they win nothing). Two trophies each and every (full) season since Wattie came back? :spl:

Nice to be right!

I think after they have celebrated, and realise that a hard qualification lies ahead for them in the EL, and that we have a good chance of making the group stages in the CL, they will see the SC as a wee bit of an empty glass.

At the end of the day, we're the team who won a double and won the league. That makes US the champions.

They are merely second best - they can window dress it as much as they want - but they are second best.

Only unfortunate thing is that Lennon will hold his job down a while longer, so another season of fractious bickering lies ahead.

I think Lennon would have kept his job even if they'd lost to Motherwell today bluebear. The pikey hoards love Lennon and as long as they love him the club will keep him.

Guest Dutchy

lemon is also the centre of their 'aggitation', so he's going nowhere.

Crap cup final, and not just the result. I was amazed that such a world class team could be held back by such a lowly team as the 'Well, but as usual, they came good in the end. Not due to world class footballers, just more money and a bigger support. The Scottish league is about who wins between Rangers and septic.

We won the league.

I think Lennon would have kept his job even if they'd lost to Motherwell today bluebear. The pikey hoards love Lennon and as long as they love him the club will keep him.

Not entirely sure about that one. They've not got a great track record in holding the faith in managers that don't bring home trophies. In fact they have a pretty horrible record of losing faith in the few that have been successful.

Come the point in next season when they're nine points behind us, he'll get his P45. Season ticket sales or fan adoration will not come into it. His jacket's on a very shoogly peg indeed if they don't get in to the EL group stage.

They'll find an extravagant excuse for him parting ways.

Answers on a post card.

Interesting read that, I wasn't on Gernet when it was writen. I don't think that we tried to lose that night however it's fairly obvious that we didn't really pull out all the stops to try and win. Contrast it with the attitude just a couple of weeks later at Hampden, we were like a different side.