Boca juniors vs River plate

Game is this sunday at 8pm UK time. I got a ticket:) Currently living here in BA at the moment with the Mrs. So Will watch us get 3IAR then go to the Super classico. Can�´t wait, been wanting to go to this derby for years.

I�´ll take some vids and get them on you tube and link them to here for those that will have any interest.

:boogie:

Who's the top team in Argentina the now?

Velez Sarsfield are top by a point but they�´ve played one game less. They are more or less the 6th biggest team in the country. The bigger teams (Boca,River,Indipendiente,Racing and San Lorenzo) haven�´t been dominant for a couple of years now, infact River actually have a chance to be relegated. The relegation system here is worked out over an average of points over a couple of seasons. So the Derby is massive for them.

For Boca they too are beggining to slightly flirt with relegation due to a poor few championships. It�´s also Martin Palermo�´s last Super classico, he�´s Boca�´s all time top scorer.

As ever, leading up to a derby there has been some controvesy. I don�´t know the full story but a fan died in a flare related incident last week so flares are banned from the game. Should still be amazing though. I�´ve been to about 8 games in Argentina and never really felt unsafe and i always stand just to the side of the hardcores. Have seen some ugly scenes as well, fighting in the stands and so on. Truth is it actually is quite a small minority that do this stuff.

I�´ll post a wee report after the match.

Edited by bluedan

Wee account of the day:awesome: Well after watching us destruct Killie i was already as happy as i thought i could get. Anyway, the Boca game was kicking off at 4.10pm local, we thought it would be best to get to the stadium at least an hour and a half before kick off. Over here you have to go through a few police searches and so on. It was all a bit mental but nothing compared to what was in the stands...

Eventually got into the ground without any real problems at all. I thought we were going to the La Doce stand but we actually went just below them behind the goal. My friend thought it would be a better atmosphere there and also he said the La Doce would bring many more flags than to a normal game so we'd have flags in our faces for most of the game.

We had well over an hour before kick off so it gave a me a real good chance to take in as much as i could before the chaos started. By this time the stand i was in was more or less full. The colours in the ground we amazing, there was flags, lots of TIFO and the new craze for Boca fans was to make up Ghosts out of balloons to signify to River that they are gong down to Primera B.

Before the game its a party,lots of singing and dancing and above the stadium a helicopter hangs above getting shots of the ground for the tv companies.

Finally, the teams come out,well the refs first followed by River to a mass amount of boo's and whistles. Then Boca to the Boca entrance song (not on tanoy but by the fans) and all the paper and tifo raining down onto the pitch and the stand. Mental.

By this time the stand i was in was packed to the brim, it was like sardines in a can and very old school with regards to terraces and so on. I loved it, it was hot and sweaty and we almost fell over a few times due to mass crowd movement when a chance came and when the goals were scored. But it was amazing.

Boca won 2-0, river fans were pretty disapointing, this loss really hurt them as they are now just above the relegation standings and have to play teams in the relegation so for them to go down is a huge possibility now. The match itself was pretty poor,standard wise. Perhaps a bit like our game,the quality of player that was playing there 6 years ago was much better. But the atmosphere was tops, different from an OF atmosphere so it's really hard to compare.

We have to stay in the ground for about 45mins after so the away fans can leave first and avoid clashes. No subway loyal in Argentina (couldn't resist a pop at them sorry). But the Fiesta continues in the ground. After my friend and i bought a Boca flag and walked around the main landmarks in the city waving the flag and taking some pics.

All in all it was one of the best days of my life. Gers getting number 54 and then going to a game i've wanted to go to for the last 7/8 years. Couldnt have been better.

I'll get my own vids up soon. Here's the goals though from YT. I was to the right of the goals, looks amazing when you see the crowd running down as the ball goes in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uckfpZtA8nM