McGregor saying the right things

Mcgregor is worth his weight in gold. If he hadn�´t saved that penalty then we wouldn�´t be in the driving seat for 3IAR. I�´ve said previously, he�´s the only member of the current playing squad that has consistantly played outstandingly and gotten better for the past 3 years. He�´s a measuring stick for the rest of the players. 25k seems more than fair to me...

P.S he still has his best years ahead of him. Also ask yourselves where we would have been without Goram and Klos who gave us years of amazing service and were both massive parts to why we won countless titles. Sometimes you have to push the boat out.

We should be doing everything to keep McGregor. Most improved player in the last 20 years, he's gone past Hutton's level of improvement for me.

If he wants 25k then surely a deal could be reach where he gets a lower basic but gets bonuses for clean sheets and match winning saves which he has done this season.

We should be doing everything to keep McGregor. Most improved player in the last 20 years, he's gone past Hutton's level of improvement for me.

If he wants 25k then surely a deal could be reach where he gets a lower basic but gets bonuses for clean sheets and match winning saves which he has done this season.

Alan McGregor and clean sheets now there is something that doesn't match.;)

Will the current wage structure still be in place now the take over has been done??

I'd hope so. Otherwise you have the risk that we start down that slippery slope again financially, not to mention if you make exceptions for certain players which will do nothing for squad harmony.

I'd hope so. Otherwise you have the risk that we start down that slippery slope again financially, not to mention if you make exceptions for certain players which will do nothing for squad harmony.

Easy to say that and I agree to an extent, but McGregor is the longest serving Rangers player and deserves to be paid accordingly given his talent and contribution.

Personally I think loan structures over the whole of the world will be cut to meet the new UEFA regulations that clubs must live within their means or at least have debt that is in perspective with their the income. It would be crazy for us to throw the floodgates open again no matter how good a player is.

Personally I think loan structures over the whole of the world will be cut to meet the new UEFA regulations that clubs must live within their means or at least have debt that is in perspective with their the income. It would be crazy for us to throw the floodgates open again no matter how good a player is.

Agreed. However,the current wage structure is/was in place due to our financial restraints,I'm merely asking if that wage structure would/could rise but still working within our means?.

Easy to say that and I agree to an extent, but McGregor is the longest serving Rangers player and deserves to be paid accordingly given his talent and contribution.

If its about the money, we simply can't afford to pay him what he could get at any of the EPL clubs for example. So its maybe not a difficult decision for him after all. His new contract should reflect his form and that would be putting him on the max wage we can offer in terms of basics & bonuses.

If he wants to stay and win trophies here, he's not going to be making a bad living, certainly enough to retire on. But if he does want to make megabucks, then he'll have to leave. Similarly if he wants a new challenge then that's fair enough.

I know what you're saying, but if you break the wage structure for one person, where do you draw the line? It might be fine short term, but apart from the resentment from other players, what happens if we have three or 4 guys who have a storming season next year and are all looking for parity? Whyte agrees they're also key players, bumps their wages and then what, who will be next to ask?

There's also the problem that some other players who get big wage bumps may not be as consistent performers as AM. So when their form dips, we could be left with guys on big wages who we can't sell and who don't want to move on?

I guess its as much about drawing a line in the sand as a club in terms of our ambition and how we're going to be run as it is individual cases. If a player comes here, stays for a 3/4 years and uses us as a stepping stone to another league then that's fine. They know for their time here they'll be on a decent wage, challenging for trophies, playing in Europe and in front of big crowds every second week. I still think that's all worth something tangible to many footballers. Some might even stay on past that if its not all about the money for example. But players should know that because of the league we're playing in, we can't try and compete on wages with EPL clubs.

I'm rambling now, but i'd hate to see some of the good work with the wage structure (albeit done under very trying circumstances over the last 3/4 years) thrown out the window. I suspect one reason Whyte took us over now is that we have made inroads towards being run within our means which gives him a solid base to work with. Given modest transfer fees, a better scouting system and some of the youth players coming through, it could be a really bright future for the club without having to break the bank.