Summer Transfer thread - fun while it lasted!

I think the problem lies in just how thin our squad is. Celtic have a massive squad and could afford to make no signings. Their fans would be disgruntled but they know they have the depth to cope with a full season.

We arguably do not, albeit in saying that we've managed 3 in a row on what we basically have.

I just think there's only so much you can ask from the same small group of players before you critically need new players - and with this new regime we really should have had a headstart in bringing guys in. That no one has come in is extremely disappointing.

But I won't panic until 00:00:01 on September 1st.

One thing to also remember is that Whyte only walked through the famous doors in mid-May. He has been at the helm for about 7 weeks. That isnt long and he has many, many things to get to grips with.

Not for a second am I saying that it isnt important to get new players in, it is PARAMOUNT. But the window has just opened so we do have plenty of time. If we were in this position by mid-August ? Different altogether, although even then with the 25 man rule in the EPL there could be some good players to be had on loan....

One thing to also remember is that Whyte only walked through the famous doors in mid-May. He has been at the helm for about 7 weeks. That isnt long and he has many, many things to get to grips with.

Not for a second am I saying that it isnt important to get new players in, it is PARAMOUNT. But the window has just opened so we do have plenty of time. If we were in this position by mid-August ? Different altogether, although even then with the 25 man rule in the EPL there could be some good players to be had on loan....

Agree Craig and it is paramount the club holds a wage policy that keeps it financially healthy. These championship clubs that are chasing the dream will hit reality in the not so distant future. If a club as Rangers and Leeds can get in difficulty then it is not rocket science to envisage that clubs as Blackpool and Cardiff could easily be sucked in to the same mistakes. Whether Whyte has money or not I am actually pretty impressed how he is running things. Lets face it the two players we lost were not top rank players who were demanding top rank money. Obviously I can only judge Whyte on the surface and not what is lying in the depths.

Season starts in 4 weeks. We need players and we can't hold off until mid-August to sign them because if we do then we'll be out of europe. The clock is counting.

Season starts in 4 weeks. We need players and we can't hold off until mid-August to sign them because if we do then we'll be out of europe. The clock is counting.

We could be out of Europe even WITH new players.

Domestic competition is our bread and butter.

Obviously I wish for a lengthy European run like the rest of the bears... but it is now an unlikely occurrence for us.

We could be out of Europe even WITH new players.

Domestic competition is our bread and butter.

Obviously I wish for a lengthy European run like the rest of the bears... but it is now an unlikely occurrence for us.

We'd have a greater chance of competing in europe if we brought in a few new faces. Also, we need new players to compete domestically too.

The start of this season is a problem, far to early plus the added fact of qualifying for the CL. As I have said we need at least 3 of the said 5 or 6 by the 23rd of July hopefully if we do sign 3 by then it isn't by the 22nd. We just need to go about our business in an a quick and reasonable manner, i.e. don't give too much away. Just say we are after a number of players and we are discussing/negotiating at this point, it will eventually be leaked by probably "sources"/agents anyway.

So it wasn't sensible of me to have doubts about PLG?

You've added extras to this argument - I didn't say Ally was to blame for any of that! So actually I think you're shifting the goalposts somewhat. So, I don't agree with you, and you don't agree with me.

I also think it's a laughable comment from you to describe my reservations over the past month, which btw, many agreed with, excluding you, in that thread I started, as 'lambasting'.

You almost sound tabloid. Twisting and changing someone's argument to sell a paper (post).

I haven't moved the goalposts and you are (at least starting to judge) a manager based on a month in the job when he has been on holiday for a large percentage of that time and many people in football, most notably players, are still on holiday.

I haven't moved the goalposts and you are (at least starting to judge) a manager based on a month in the job when he has been on holiday for a large percentage of that time and many people in football, most notably players, are still on holiday.

Curiously enough your ire is aimed at me, rather than others in that thread who agreed with me and...dare I say the dreaded words...'started to judge' the manager's performance so far.

Oh, and you moved the goalposts so far they ended up in another stadium.

Curiously enough your ire is aimed at me, rather than others in that thread who agreed with me and...dare I say the dreaded words...'started to judge' the manager's performance so far.

I still don't see how you can start to judge a manager who's team haven't even played a single game yet, not even a friendly and who has been in charge for merely a month or so. The money side is not his area and all he does is give his chairman and now director of football a list of players he wants but you keep saying you don't believe this, why, do you know something we don't? If Walter was still in charge IMO these players still would not have signed for us.

You need to explain how?

And maybe the reason you are the main "target" is because you started a thread about it and are the staunchest supporter of the view point.

I am genuinely amazed that people are talking in such a manner before the manager has had any time to do anything (PLG was months into the actual competitive aspect of the season before a real groundswell of opinion went against him). I truly find it bizarre. And craig is right, much of what you are questioning the manager for is actually more the "fault" of the chairman and perhaps Smith. I put fault in quotation marks because Smith is only two minutes through the door and the chairman must act responsibly within the financial framework that exists. Perhaps you should be starting threads questioning the players involved instead?