Summer Transfer thread - fun while it lasted!

Villa fans seem to rate him a lot. I don't think its a goer either. I wonder if there is any quotes on the back page tomorrow. Probably buy the paper tomorrow seeing as i'm going to the airport.

CARLOS CUELLAR last night opened the door to a stunning return to Rangers by insisting he is "excited" by the prospect of signing for Ally McCoist.

Record Sport revealed exclusively yesterday how McCoist plans to open dialogue this week to determine whether or not he might be able to tempt the Spaniard back across the border from Aston Villa - three years after Cuellar quit Ibrox for the Premiership side.

And yesterday the 29-year-old centre half spoke exclusively to this paper to tell the truth behind his decision to leave in the first place - and to stress that he would not hesitate if Villa give him their blessing to go back.

Cuellar has fallen out of the top-team picture in the Midlands after managing just 10 league starts last season.

Now, with only one year remaining on his contract and with the club currently head hunting a third new manager in 12 months, the former Osasuna stopper believes his time at Villa Park might be up.

McCoist has identified him as a ready-made replacement for the perennially unsettled Algerian Madjid Bougherra, who seems certain to move on this summer.

Cuellar said: "Obviously I have to find out what Villa want me to do but I'm very surprised to hear that Rangers want me back. A lot of people have been talking about it on the internet and on Twitter saying, 'I want Carlos back - or Carlos has to be here'.

"It's exciting because Rangers, for me, has so many good memories.

"It's exciting if there is a possibility to go back because all of those good memories come back - the city, the club, the people, how much they loved me and how much I loved them.

"Then there is the Champions League and the chance to win trophies again. Who wouldn't be excited about something like that?"

McCoist is determined to use new owner Craig Whyte's cash injection to bolster his defensive options and Cuellar's name is top of his list.

A fee of around s2million has been placed on Cuellar's head after recent speculation linking him with La Liga rivals Villarreal and Espanyol but Rangers could also attempt to strike a year-long loan deal for the player whom they sold to Villa for s7.8m in the summer of 2008.

And McCoist's part in any talks could prove crucial as Cuellar makes up his mind.

He said: "I had a good relationship with Ally McCoist. He is a great personality and I think it would be good fun to work under him as manager. But that doesn't mean it would be one big joke.

"The thing about Ally is that he knows how to separate the jokes from the work. I saw that in my time in Glasgow. I think he will make an excellent Rangers manager."

McCoist has also opened talks with Liverpool after 19-year-old Danny Wilson was made available for a season long loan deal, a year after leaving Rangers for Anfield.

And in the next 24 hours the new Rangers boss is expected to speak in person with Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger to find out if the Frenchman would be prepared to strike a similar deal to let Kyle Bartley return for another 12 months in Glasgow.

But with Bougherra on his way out and Davie Weir out of contract and undecided over his future, McCoist is desperate to recruit more experienced campaigners for the heart of his defence.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/2011/06/08/rangers-target-carlos-cuellar-i-loved-my-time-at-ibrox-and-i-d-love-to-go-back-86908-23187560/

PAUL INCE'S son Thomas is being chased by Ajax and Rangers.

The Liverpool kid, 19, has been offered a new four-year deal but feels his chances of first-team football are better elsewhere.

Ince has yet to make a full debut since signing on youth terms in 2008.

He was an unused sub in the Europa League qualifier against FK Rabotnicki but came off the bench in Liverpool's League Cup loss to Northampton for his debut.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3624068/Paul-Inces-son-Thomas-is-being-chased-by-Ajax-and-Rangers.html

THE Old Firm are set for a transfer tug of war after BOTH targeted Turkey centre-half Gokhan Zan.

Galatasaray star Zan, 29, is available on a free after vowing to quit the club to fulfil his dream of playing abroad.

He's currently on a staggering �£50,000-a-week and while the Turks want him to stay Zan is prepared to take a 50 per cent pay CUT.

That has alerted new Rangers boss Ally McCoist and his Celtic rival Neil Lennon.

Sources in Turkey told SunSport the Old Firm clubs are firmly in the hunt for Zan, who has won 33 caps and, at 6ft 3in, is known for his physical style.

He would suit both Old Firm clubs, who have been asked to be kept informed of his situation.

McCoist is desperate to land a tried and tested stopper. As SunSport revealed he's already in the hunt to sign ex-Napoli star Emilio Cribari as well as Danny Wilson on loan from Liverpool. Carlos Cuellar could also be an option.

Lennon is keen to find a partner for Daniel Majstorovic. Meanwhile, Olivier Giroud confirmed McCoist wanted to take him to Ibrox - but he signed a new deal with Montpellier instead.

The striker netted 14 goals in his first season in Ligue 1 after turning down Celtic last summer.

And despite interest from Gers, he signed a new three-year deal with Montpellier last week.

He said: "There was never any direct contact from Rangers but they were following me. It didn't get far but maybe I can look at a big club like Rangers or Celtic in the future."

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3624709/Zan-the-man-for-Old-Firm.html

Wonder why Carlos is so keen to come back?

Maybe he realises his dream of playing for Spain is never going to happen, and he's out of favour at Villa, plus he's injured. So he might as well go back to where he was utterly loved. And I don't see too many fans against the idea.

Also see the Bursaspor interest in Whittaker is stepping up. The fullback positions are weaknesses for me, and while I thought he had a decent season last year, he's never really improved at Ibrox. If a good offer came in, I'd take it and try to find someone a bit better tbh.

Carlos Cuellar today admitted he is interested in returning to former club Rangers this summer.

Cuellar fears his time at Aston Villa may be nearing an end as the Barclays Premier League club look to appoint their third manager in 12 months.

And the Spanish defender, who has one year left on his current contract, would be prepared to go back to Ibrox to work under new manager Ally McCoist.

The 29-year-old established himself as a firm fans’ favourite during his one season in Glasgow and helped the Gers reach the Uefa Cup Final in 2008.

He was sold to Villa for �£7.8million shortly after that, but would now be available for a cut-price fee of around �£2 million.

With Davie Weir’s future still not clear and Madjid Bougherra edging nearer to the exit door, McCoist has made getting a top quality centre-half in a prioity.

And Cuellar is excited about the prospect of returning to his former club.

He said: “I have to find out what Villa want me to do, but I’m very surprised to hear that Rangers want me back.

“A lot of people have been talking about it on the internet and on Twitter.

“It’s exciting because Rangers holds so many good memories. It’s exciting if there is a possibility to go back because all of those good memories come back – the city, the club, the people, how much they loved me and how much I loved them.

“Then there is the Champions League and the chance to win trophies again. Who wouldn’t be excited about something like that?”

One of the reasons Cuellar left Rangers was because he was told he would have a better chance of forcing his way into his national team playing in England.

But he has endured a difficult season down south due to injury and is keen to make a clean break and resurrect his playing days in Scotland.

He added: “I would have no problems coming back to play in the SPL. I only left because I was told if I wanted to have a chance of playing for the national team then I had to leave Scotland and move to the Premiership or return to La Liga.

“I was told the Spanish manager was interested in me, but that he could only see me playing in Uefa Cup matches.

“Everyone kept telling me that if I wanted to play for Spain then I had to go.

“It was a tough situation, but I did what I was told. I was told it would be the best thing for my career. I was only 26 at the time and felt it was a big opportunity.

“But now things are very different. Since then, Spain have become world champions and, although I have never given up hope of playing for my country, I will make my own decisions now. Three years ago I thought I had a chance and I did what I had to do.

“I was listening to people who were part of the national team. I did what they advised.

“But now I can follow my own dream and I won’t let other people tell me what is best.

“I know myself what will make me happy. I was so happy at Rangers and this time, if I get the chance to return, then I will follow what I want to do.

“Last year was hard for me. We had a change of manager, I had some problems with injury and I wasn’t playing as much as I wanted to.

“I don’t want another season like that. But it will depend on the new manager at Villa.”

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/editor-s-picks/ally-mccoist-pitch-opens-door-for-return-of-carlos-cuellar-1.1105840

From sportsvibe :

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger is set to step up his pursuit of Rangers centre-back Madjid Bougherra when the summer transfer window opens for business.

According to reports in The Metro, Wenger made a special point of heaping praise on the Algerian international during the World Cup last summer.

Bougherra was in impressive form for Rangers last season and played a vital role in helping the Scottish giants win the SPL and Scottish League Cup double.

The Gunners boss is eager to add to his squad, with an exodus of players expected to leave the Emirates this summer with the club having failed to win any piece of silverware in six years.

Wenger has been linked with a number of centre-backs over the past couple of months including, Phil Jones and Garry Cahill. However it is believed Bougherra is now his number one priority in that position.

Speaking with regards to speculation linking him with a move away from the Ibrox club, Bougherra said: "My focus is still on the Premier League. I played there for six months with Charlton and want to go back as six months isn't a long time.

"I don't want any trouble between me and the club. I want any move to be easy."

Since the 28-year-old moved to Rangers 2008 from Charlton he has won three SPL titles, one Scottish Cup and one Scottish league cup.