The Temperature is Rising

I don't think I'm alone in believing that the ongoing campaign to denigrate Rangers has gone too far.

I don't think I'm alone when I say that no other group in society would dare get such a public kicking.

I don't think I'm alone when I sense an increasingly hostile climate in the west of Scotland between supporters of Rangers and Celtic.

I don't think I'm alone in feeling a rising anger bordering on fury at the sectarian campaign being waged against Rangers Football Club.

I don't think I'm alone when I see Neil Lennon pontificating publicly about sectarianism and wondering why searching questions about his behaviour are conspicuous by their absence.

I don't think I'm alone when I perceive our national media, particularly BBC Scotland and Radio Clyde, to be less than professional in their handling of this very serious issue.

I don't think I'm alone when I see anti-sectarian crusaders covering their ears and closing their eyes to sectarian behaviour when it doesn't involve Rangers supporters.

I don't think I'm alone when I suspect that there is an organised and sectarian campaign which is intent on seriously damaging Rangers Football Club.

I don't think I'm alone in noticing our politicians and pundits ducking and bobbing and weaving when it comes to Scotland's sectarian schools issue.

I don't think I'm alone when I sense a deep reluctance by politicians, pundits and media to disappoint the Catholic Church in Scotland.

I don't think I'm alone when I suspect that the Scottish Labour Party is gripped by sectarianism.

I don't think I'm alone when I see 'sectarianism' being used as a weapon to bash just one football club - but not Scotland's sectarian schools, or Scotland's sectarian Labour Party, or indeed Celtic Football Club which has been sectarian since its first breath.

I don't think I'm alone in believing that the current anti-sectarianism campaign is a sham, and with those behind it happy to turn a blind eye to sectarianism of one sort but eager to come down on it like a ton of bricks when it is the other.

I don't think I'm alone in believing that Scotland should phase out sectarian schools, and yet this issue is almost a taboo subject in the Scottish media.

I don't think I'm alone in wanting a grown-up and genuine debate on sectarianism rather than a kiddy-on, one sided discussion where sports hacks with Celtic scarves lead the charge. Let's have a debate on the subject of sectarianism that is worthy and wide-ranging - just for a change.

I don't think I'm alone, however, when I suspect that this is the last thing many 'anti-sectarian' campaigners want.

One really has to wonder - why are 'anti-sectarian' crusaders running scared of a full public debate - on sectarianism?

Borrowed from another forum