Whoever should have made the announcement, the affair looked cheap and thrown together. It doesn't particularly bother me but it was interesting to see how we've gone from grand to ground floor. Maybe it's as well to keep this low key.

How many of those "grand announcements" were largely bullshit and bluster ? Given your distaste of SDM you would have to say a fair bit, right ? I know I would. But there somehow seems to be a feel-good factor with those grandiose announcements, regardless of whether it was SDM or somebody else who announced them.

Maybe this is what we have become.

That said, I do prefer substance - a grand announcement means nothing in the sense of the achievement subsequently expected. I will happily take a low-key announcement if we end up winning the league under AM in his first season.

Winning games means more than who announces our next manager, at least IMO.

I don't think the link between grand announcements and winning games is the real issue. We've done plenty of winning in Murray's time but clubs like Rangers are morethan a collection of results. It's not overstating the truth to say we have a culture and a belief system, an ethos, a self-image .... and this is where the bullshit of the Murray era has done it's greatest damage. We were grand long before Murray but it was in our hearts and heads.

I felt the backcloth to yesterday's announcement looked cheap, and it did, but it was cheap only in relation to the veneer of Murray's new age.

Mountain......Molehill...... :devil: :thup:

Bloody hell.

"I find it quite disappointing its just Bain"

"No, that's the CEOs role"

"It isn't for chairmen at other clubs"

"Yeah but they just want in on the glory"

"Yeah, it's just Bain that's what I'm saying"

"Oh, mountain out of a molehill"

:throwpc:

Bloody hell.

"I find it quite disappointing its just Bain"

"No, that's the CEOs role"

"It isn't for chairmen at other clubs"

"Yeah but they just want in on the glory"

"Yeah, it's just Bain that's what I'm saying"

"Oh, mountain out of a molehill"

:throwpc:

Glad you got there eventually Barry :D;)

There are some parallels with McCoist taking over to that of Dalglish at Liverpool - both were striking legends at the top club in the land.

However, Dalglish was 34 years old, with no experience, no coaching badges and went straight from the dressing room of the players he played with to the manager's office, while he even continued to play for another five or so years.

The team was one of the best in Europe at the time - it was just after Heysel, where if it wasn't for the disaster, Liverpool could possibly have been crowned European Champions yet again.

It seems to me that the Merseyside club, from a far loftier footballing position, were willing to take a much bigger gamble than we are - and it paid off.

We're taking a guy 14 years older, who has about six years experience of assistant manager under the tuition of a man who we know will at least knock all naivety out of him, has his coaching badges and been "around" a lot more.

I can see the reservations, but after managers with differing levels of decent experience such Advocaat, Eck and PLG were ultimately not good enough, you'd think we'd be quite open minded about a former playing legend who obviously loves the club, was very loyal as a player, and gave up a lucrative (and low pressure) media career to come back to Ibrox.

The guy is even quite likeable - although some hold that against him too.

As I've said before, I've given up trying to predict who will be a successful manager for Rangers or other top club as it's just not obviously fathomable, so looking at his credentials, he seems as good a choice as any and the proof of the champagne will be in the drinking - hopefully out of many very large, silver cups.

Taking off my supporters hat, I can't help but feel chuffed for the guy - it's something he really, deeply wants (another plus point for me in these mercenary days) and he's done all he can to prepare himself.

Out-with concerns for his potential aptitude, if anyone "deserves" the job, he's top of the list.

I keep wondering about the timing of this announcement. Sure, the OF result, the season tickets, blah, blah. But McCoist's appointment was surely never in real doubt unless the club was sold (an how we'll celebrate as the squadron of pigs soars overhead, trailing red blue and white smoke from their arses) so why make an announcement that simply had to have been cooking for a few weeks at least - contracts don't get concluded overnight at this level. Could it be that McCoist wasn't prepared to turn his back on Sky without some security that the expected Rangers job was a reality. I don't doubt that Rangers would always come before Sky for McCoist but in the current climate at Rangers he couldn't have assumed too much and the Sky job was a one-off too. I fancy he (or at least his agent) politely twisted a couple of arms and said put up or shut up. Where would the season tickets have been sold to then?

Probably a combination of that and a few other factors MF.

Fact is, how you can sign new players (and/or get existing ones to sign new contracts) as well as plan other strategies if you don't have a manager in place? Sure we had an informal arrangement but we often complain about short-termism at the club so on this occasion I'm glad Rangers have formalised the position to enable us to move forward for next season and beyond.

Wasn't questioning the decision, merely interested in the timing. There was no complaint involved.

Remember, the short-termism you refer to was set in train by the same people (presumably) who took the recent McCoist decision so it's not as if it was down to a blinding realisation that we were running out of time. There's also the possibility I suppose that it was always the plan to make the announcement now .... but somehow that doesn't ring true since there are all sorts of reasons why it would have made more sense to confirm McCoist's appointment at just about any other time.