That about sums up EXACTLY how I feel about McCoist taking over. His hands are tied before he even sits behind the manager's desk.

The only thing I would disagree with the above Norris is that it could be argued that it is only THIS season that WS has struggled against Celtic. He won back to back titles against them in his 2nd stint which could and should have been 3 but for a horrendous fixture backlog. This season, though, he has undoubtedly struggled against a Celtic team that at least seems to have a winning spirit and mentality about it.

Rangers were cheated in 2007/08, we all know that. 2008/09 was a fine achievement, though those who remember Easter Road will know how close we came to blowing it.

But under Walter MkII, we've only been comprehensive against Celtic last season, when we were up against a laughable bheast outfit of the early 90s variety. Celtic have never been better than average since O'Neill.

I would go further and say that he didn't struggle until December.

We were stronger than them before then, top of the league and had them well beaten at Parkhead in the first encounter.

I think he's outwitted Celtic for 4 years straight - apart from them cheating three years ago.

Now they have finally made there greater outlay start to work while our squad has been withered and stretched to breaking point. I think our squad mirrors Davie Weir - unexpectedly punched above weight for years but now there's just not enough left in the tank.

Article from yesterday -

Ally Can Run It His Way

Tues 22 Feb 2011

0,,5%7E9127309,00.jpg

Exclusive by Lindsay Herron

CHAIRMAN Alastair Johnston says Ally McCoist will have the freedom to run Rangers his way after it was announced today that he will take over as manager in the summer.

The chairman believes it is important to allow the "boss" to be independent and feels sure that McCoist can proved to be a success when he moves into the hot seat in the summer.

He told rangers.co.uk: "Ally will be responsible for all of the things the manager of Rangers Football Club is expected to bring to the job. He will have a lot of independence and authority with respect to the team, the tactics and the strategy.

"At some clubs and institutions the chairman or the chief executive might try to operate as the manager too but we don't operate that way. The manager has a lot of freedom to operate the way he sees fit.

"Of course once he is in place he will have the opportunity to attend board meetings which will bring familiarity of the business element of the club.

"He will have an opportunity to present his case at board level on all of the issues that affect him like players coming and going, player development and where we will be in the future.

"As ever there will be good collaboration between he and Martin Bain on a daily basis and the board as and when because we work as a team at Rangers."

Johnston confirmed that there was no-one else on the radar for the Rangers job when Walter Smith steps down in May.

He said: "The appointment of Ally was ratified at board level several weeks ago and we felt that the timing was right to make the announcement now.

"As far as the board is concerned it was always our intention to extend Ally's relationship and to elevate him to manager at the right time and the right time is now.

"For the purposes of where we are right now we needed to demonstrate where we are going in respect of our leadership and it also gives us continuity

"Ally now has the ability to plan for all of the elements of being Rangers manager going forward.

"Rangers have been defined by their managers throughout our history. We are moving out of the Walter Smith era into the Ally McCoist era and hopefully it will bring us as much success as the majority of managers before him have provided."

My point exactly. Appointing the next manager in our few hundred year existence is hardly a 'day to day' affair.

With the majority of businesses McCoist becoming manager would be an appointment of a senior member of staff. That would result in the announcement being made by the CEO, not the Chairman.

I would contend that in most businesses that only the CEO's position would normally be announced by the Chairman. All others would be confirmed by the CEO himself.

I see nothing amiss, or indeed wrong, in Bain doing the honours yesterday.

With the majority of businesses McCoist becoming manager would be an appointment of a senior member of staff. That would result in the announcement being made by the CEO, not the Chairman.

I would contend that in most businesses that only the CEO's position would normally be announced by the Chairman. All others would be confirmed by the CEO himself.

Which other clubs announce their new manager with the CEO? Celtic certainly didn't and that's the only other example I can think of. So it's at very least not universal procedure. DM announced PLG.`

Edited by bmck

Have to agree. The only reason SDM used to do such things when he was Chairman is because he liked the spotlight. Martin Bain was almost always present too.

Have to agree. The only reason SDM used to do such things when he was Chairman is because he liked the spotlight. Martin Bain was almost always present too.

Just makes the point again in another way. All chairmen like the limelight of such things, when there's limelight to be had.

Just makes the point again in another way. All chairmen like the limelight of such things, when there's limelight to be had.

Which could very well be why you would put Reid in there as announcing it too.

It doesnt HAVE to be the Chairman announcing such positions. As I said, normal practice is that senior members of staff would normally be announced by the CEO. The CEO would be announced by the Chairman. Admittedly football isn't "normal", not at Rangers anyway.

But I dont see anything wrong with Johnston being absent for that announcement.

Mountain......Molehill...... :devil: :thup: