Weiss hints at Gers stay

An option for the getting Commons would be to give him the 20k/week then let Weiss return to Man City in the summer and use whatever share of Weiss wage we are paying towards Commons.

No, no and thrice no. All this does is increase the wage structure - you cant look at wages on an individual basis. So we agree to meet Commons wage demands by moving Weiss back to City... what do you think happens with the likes of Naismith, Davis, Bougherra etc ? Think they will accept being paid far less than Commons ? I doubt it.

If, as is suggested, we have a wage structure in place, we shouldnt be breaking it for anyone - financial profligacy has got us where we are - we need to be prudent and not throw money around for the sake of it.

I think even our posters, beacons of sense though they are, who don't want to keep Weiss are insane. Weiss can do things no-one else can do. His inconsistency is a consequence of him being both a creative player and ridiculously young. By the time he's a bit older, and gets more consistent games, he'll be a top European player and I'd like to keep someone with his skill at Ibrox as long as possible because there's a good chance we wont see anything equivalent for a long time.

I think he's shown enough to prove he can contribute and, if it's a loan that isn't costing much, he's definitely worth keeping around. He is the type that, whilst he does go missing, can turn one point into three at least once or twice a season and we really don't have many who can do that, and those are the margins with which titles are won.

I think even our posters, beacons of sense though they are, who don't want to keep Weiss are insane. Weiss can do things no-one else can do. His inconsistency is a consequence of him being both a creative player and ridiculously young. By the time he's a bit older, and gets more consistent games, he'll be a top European player and I'd like to keep someone with his skill at Ibrox as long as possible because there's a good chance we wont see anything equivalent for a long time.

I like him and would be 1 of the first names on my team sheet but loan deals are always short term. Cant seeing him signing permanently hence why I said long term having Commons on a 3-4 year deal is safer for the club.

Weiss is the better player but is the number of Scottish players rule not kicking in again?? Again Commons being Scottish helps that if it is.

Ideally we'd have them both on the wings.

Weiss can do things no-one else can do. His inconsistency is a consequence of him being both a creative player and ridiculously young.

I think his supposed inconsistency is actually a consequence of opponents marking him out of games. They've watched him and they know he's a real talent and threat to them, so when Weiss gets the ball he's normally got AT LEAST two players on him. There's even occasions when 4 opposition players swarm around him and this is something we haven't capitalized on. Weiss basically doesn't get enough support when he's on the ball. If he did, then I'd imagine that he'd get a lot less stick for being wasteful. He makes mistakes like all players, but the amount of times I've seen him swarmed with no outlet is growing fast.

It goes back to the age old story of us and lack of movement. If WS can have one criticism is that his natural defensiveness or solidity means that our players effectively forget how to run into space. We either give it to someone who beats players or players a killer pass as we're naturally moving forward - but when we have the ball in the midfield and are passing it around while they've came back there's seldom any close knit runs into space with sharp passing to create the impetus or space. I remember when Laudrup came he'd often just roll the ball to the side to make people run and it took a while for the rest of the playres to click on even then. A similar thing with Weiss - if you give him the ball and there's four players round him, two players should be running to make use of the space. I think they don't because we rely a lot on the rigidness of our formation.

There's so much value in a lot of the little things we don't do. For most bigger clubs almost every pass in the final third has an associated run that makes a one-two possible, even if it isn't used. That's how you open teams up when there's no gap in the channels or they're lying to deep. It's just an aspect of our game that doesn't seem there. I think it's maybe because despite being the dominant team in the SPL we have the players and system that's more adept at counter attacking.

Edited by bmck

I'd rather he played consistent football and not go missing from one game to the next?

If he played consistently to the level he's capable of he'd be nowhere near Ibrox FFS. He's a youngster out on loan to gain experience. Fairly simple concept. We're lucky to have him.

Exactly.

He might often lose possession but he can pick the ball up from the halfway line and advance very quickly, something that's been a rarity at Ibrox in recent years. He might be very raw but seeing a winger/forward that can actually dribble is a welcome return at Ibrox. He also gives us technique and creativity in the final third, another thing lacking in recent years.

BTW - My opinion would have been different a month or 2 ago where he went through a very poor spell.

Edited by Totti