Burley sacked by Palace

Burley sacked by Palace

1/01/2011

Crystal Palace manager George Burley paid the price for Saturday afternoon's 3-0 defeat at Millwall when he was sacked by the south London club.

The former Scotland chief was axed just hours after his side were condemned to a third defeat in five matches to remain in the npower Championship relegation zone.

A Palace statement read: "We would like to thank George for his dedication and hard work and share his regret that things didn't work out for him here."

Assistant boss Dougie Freedman will take charge of Monday's clash with bottom side Preston.

Read more: http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/latest/2011/01/01/burley-sacked-by-palace-115875-22820001/#ixzz19pjRyyqT

It looks like Roman Romanov got something right at Hearts.

It looks like Roman Romanov got something right at Hearts.

You think? If he stayed at Hearts I honestly think they might have won the league. On a shoestring budget he made Hearts better than us.

Edited by Totti

What a limited manager he is.

5 good mins at Ipswich and 9 good games at Hearts....the rest is just a shambles

In that '5 good mins' at Ipswich he took them to the premiership, finished 5th there and got them into Europe. A limited manager could not do that.

I'm not saying he's a great manager but he's obviously got something there and he needs to find the right club. The English lower leagues can be quite a hard place to succeed with limited money.

You think? If he stayed at Hearts I honestly think they might have won the league. On a shoestring budget he made Hearts better than us.

We were a complete shambles that season, as were Celtic.

I completely agree, had Romanov stuck with Burley they would quite possibly have won the league. Burley would still have been found out the next season though once the OF had stabilised.

I doubt Burley would have won the league, he had a good start but how many SPL teams have done that then faded badly and not even finished third?

It is a shame he didn't get the chance to finish off that great start and show if he could achieve anything, but he's living off that winning streak and has shown nothing since.