Big Marv - Davie Weir My Role Model

MARVIN ANDREWS could never be accused of simply accepting defeat.

After all, this is the guy who defied a cruciate-ligament injury to carry on playing for Rangers and eventually secure an SPL title in 2005.

So it's no surprise that when he was warned by doctors he might never play again AFTER the knee surgery, the devout Christian put his faith in God and fought his way back to fitness.

Now, after securing a move to Wrexham, the 34-year-old stopper wants to emulate current Rangers stopper Davie Weir by playing on until he's 40.

The former Ibrox hero scored his first goal for the Welsh side against Mansfield a fortnight ago and he is set to stay at the Racecourse Ground until the end of the season at least.

After unsuccessful spells at Hamilton Accies and Queen of the South, he's just delighted to be playing again, especially when medics told him his career could be over.

He told MailSport: "I just thank God I'm still able to play. After the injury I had, people were convinced that was it for me. Everyone thought I wouldn't come back.

"But I'm so grateful my knee is OK after the operation.

"The doctors said I probably wouldn't play again but I've worked hard and now I'm back on the pitch.

"I'm now fully fit with no injury problems. I'm not disappointed that I wasn't given the chance to stay in Scotland.

"If God wants me in Scotland again, I'll be back. I believe I can play until I'm 40 years of age.

"I've watched David Weir look after himself so well and do well up at Rangers. Hopefully I can do the same.

"If I can stay away from any serious injuries I plan to play until 40 then call it a day. I still have a lot to offer in my career and still want to achieve things.

"There's no reason why I can't play at a good level for the next few years. Sol Campbell is 36 but he's back in the Premier League at Newcastle.

"It's about your belief and desire, which I have a lot of, so it's more than possible.

"Weir is a real role model for me. He's a great example to people like me and it's incredible that he's still at the top level with Rangers at 40.

"He has been fantastic in the Champions League and also when representing his country. Why can't I do the same? "We live in a society where lots of people think if you're over the age of 30 you're suddenly too old to do things.

"However, Davie's out there showing it's not about age, it's about your mindset.

"I have the same drive as him, I still want to play for as long as I possibly can.

"It can be done and Davie's someone I look up to now."

Andrews is enjoying life in the Conference with Dean Saunders' side but hasn't ruled out a return to Scotland - where he has spent the bulk of his career at Raith Rovers, Livingston and Gers.

He became a cult figure under Alex McLeish at Ibrox and won the championship in 2005, having already lifted the League Cup with Livi the previous year.

And the 101-cap defender still dreams of completing a glorious trophy treble by one day getting his hands on the Scottish Cup at Hampden.

He said: "It's only five years since I was winning the SPL title with Rangers.

Desire

"But I look at guys such as Michael Ball and Dado Prso, who were my team-mates, and they aren't playing football now.

"So I'm grateful still to be involved in the game I love.

"I still have a burning desire to achieve more in the game before I retire. I'm fully fit again and plan to make the most of it now.

"I want to win absolutely anything available at whatever club I might be at. I still have a real desire to win the Scottish Cup because it's the only medal I don't have from my time in Scotland.

"There is still time left, I might come back and lift the Cup yet.

"That's my dream and anything is possible in life if you believe in it strongly enough.

"I'm signed to Wrexham until January but the club plan to extend it. Everything is going well and I'd like to be here until the end of the season.

"My big mate Dennis Lawrence played here for five years. The manager found out I was a free agent and asked me to come down and see the place.

"I've played my whole career in Scotland but I thought at this stage, why not try England? "I'm enjoying it just as much as I enjoyed Scotland. The main thing was to get back playing football - when I'm doing that I always have a big simile on my face."