Bougherra Named Arab Player of The Year 2010

Algeria international and Glasgow Rangers defender Madjid Bougherra was named Arab footballer of the year 2010, following an online poll organized by the Saudi TV station MBC.

The 28-year-old centre back cleared over 45% of the votes cast in which more than 75,000 Internet users participated.

Bougherra beat Oman international and Wigan goalkeeper Ali Al Habssi who scored 16.6% to second position. Another Algerian, VfL Wolfsburg midfielder Karim Ziani came third with 12.37%.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/89/africa/2010/10/22/2178744/algerias-glasgow-rangers-defender-madjid-bougherra-named?

Boogie stats compiled by an FF'er:

I noticed when I posted a thread the other day about our record against Celtic with both 1st choice centre backs (hint: its excellent) that Bougherra is p4 w3 d1 l0 against them. Knowing he'd missed a few games last season and most of our recent defeats have been to them I wondered what his overall record was like.

The only domestic defeats he's played in:

05.10.2008 St Mirren 0-1

29.11.2008 Hearts 1-2

04.03.2009 Caley 0-1 (92nd minute penalty)

Defeats he's effectively or completely missed

28.11.2009 Aberdeen 0-1 (Bougherra off bench at 0-1 down 78th minute)

15.03.2009 Celtic 0-2 (Co-op cup final)

27.12.2008 Celtic 0-1 SPL

30.03.2010 St Johnstone 1-4 SPL

04.05.2010 Celtic 1-2 SPL

24.03.2010 Dundee Utd 0-1 (Scottish Cup)

Since that defeat to Hearts in 2008 the one match he's lost - (bbc match report) was a late Weir mistake and all but a draw. If you did put the Caley match to one side and our side's last 6 defeats came without Bougherra playing. I've ignored Champions league games here, although he's missed a good few of the defeats there too (Kaunas, Unirea Urziceni, Stuttgart but played in the h&a defeats to Sevilla).

For those that like to compare the two Cuellar played 36 SPL matches and lost 5 whereas Bougherra has played 63 for the record above, although all this could equally be said of Weir & Bougherra as a partnership.

Looking at the sides that played in the defeats I don't think anyone comes close to this record if it was a measure our most influencial player. Davis has lost 9 (in 89 appearances) for instance, if that was similar across the board we're something close to 3 times less likely to lose if Bougherra/Weir start the match.