So, the Jig is in for a wee while longer..

Guest Northampton_loyalist
The usual pattern when we win a game but were outplayed in midfield is that the opposition were toothless in front of goal

The way we play is to invite teams onto us. we dont press them up front and allow them possession in the middle. It is pretty much the only way we CAN play in the SPL. If we play a high line and press anyone, particularly at Ibrox, we end up with 20 men in about 40 yards of pitch, strangling the play and removing any space to move. By inviting teams onto us and conceding the ball until halfway into our own half, we stretch the game and create space.

these teams do not in any way shape or form outplay us in midfield, or dictate play, we allow them room to come forward as it is absolutely the only way to get amongst them, anything else leads to 11 men behind the ball and nowhere to move when attacking.

If you take our wage-bill just before Thommo left and call it �£0/week, McCulloch signing on will have likely added nothing to it and maybe even reduced it. thommo would have (probably justifyably) wanted a raise, meaning anything extra spent takes us above '�£0' meaning McCulloch on more than thommo, even after a raise for the latter, is 'cheaper'.

What did Thomson do last season to justify a huge wage rise? Was he not injured for most of the season before as well? I think he was entitled to a wage cut to be honest.

What did Thomson do last season to justify a huge wage rise? Was he not injured for most of the season before as well? I think he was entitled to a wage cut to be honest.

highlight the word huge please...

highlight the word huge please...

Sorry i wasn't really quoting you on the huge but following the run of the thread. Apologies.

I can honestly see why Thomson was punted. We could get our money back. He was more injured than he played. He had wonky knees. Edu scores far more goals from midfield and is imo a far better player. The wage bill is cut from a player who is missable. We can bring in a left sided player which we need more.

I think it was a good piece of business.

Sorry i wasn't really quoting you on the huge but following the run of the thread. Apologies.

I can honestly see why Thomson was punted. We could get our money back. He was more injured than he played. He had wonky knees. Edu scores far more goals from midfield and is imo a far better player. The wage bill is cut from a player who is missable. We can bring in a left sided player which we need more.

I absolutely agree that it is at least an understandable move punting Thommo. I was more meaning that at his age, as an international and a guy who is tipped to be a club captain, he could justify asking for more cash; as opposed to the likes of lee, who with the best will in the world, and as a fan, is only going to regress.

Guest Flying Hippo

False hyperbole ruins an argument

Thomson played in 107 matches in 3 and a half years. There's no way we played more than 214 games in that time

False hyperbole ruins an argument

Thomson played in 107 matches in 3 and a half years. There's no way we played more than 214 games in that time

what is true hyporbole? :fish:

Guest Flying Hippo
what is true hyporbole? :fish:

In his exaggeration, he told an outright lie (that Thomson had missed more games than he'd played)

I decided that that is false hyperbole ;)

In his exaggeration, he told an outright lie (that Thomson had missed more games than he'd played)

I decided that that is false hyperbole ;)

I'm stealing that, it adds to the statement. :spl:

The way we play is to invite teams onto us. we dont press them up front and allow them possession in the middle. It is pretty much the only way we CAN play in the SPL. If we play a high line and press anyone, particularly at Ibrox, we end up with 20 men in about 40 yards of pitch, strangling the play and removing any space to move. By inviting teams onto us and conceding the ball until halfway into our own half, we stretch the game and create space.

these teams do not in any way shape or form outplay us in midfield, or dictate play, we allow them room to come forward as it is absolutely the only way to get amongst them, anything else leads to 11 men behind the ball and nowhere to move when attacking.

Nail on the head , I have been arguing this point for ages , why people cannot see it for themselves is beyond me.