Rangers bid for Croatian hitman Jelavic

Would really like to see Jelavic signed up.

The squad would look a lot healthier with his name and a midfielder / winger included. If it must be a loan deal for another player or 2 then Im not too bothered, only wish we would hurry up and add to the squad.

Not sure what is most depressing. Sitting about not signing anyone, or trying to sign someone and failing?

But hey, it's been over 12 weeks since our season ended. Why should we expect the club to get off their backsides and act to ensure we bring in players before the end of our preseason? :sigh:

I'm not surprised we didn't get him, we seemed to be priced out, not sure it would be wise to spend a lot of money on one player. The thing that niggles me is the handling by Rapid they kept delaying and delaying a decision which got some fans some hope.

I would have liked to see him join but sadly he won't, EPL is where he will probably go either this window or in the winter window.

So probably Georgie Welcome will be signed?

Rangers manager Walter Smith remains hopeful of signing Rapid Vienna striker Nikica Jelavic and expects a resolution over the potential transfer next week.

Rangers chief executive Martin Bain failed to seal a deal for the Croatia international after flying to Austria this week, but Smith today revealed that talks were continuing.

"Negotiations are ongoing," Smith said. "They are keen for him to play in their domestic game at the weekend.

"We will hopefully find out one way or another at the start of next week."

The 24-year-old scored 21 goals last season, including three against Celtic in the Europa League.

Smith added: "Negotiations with both the club and the player, and his agents, are ongoing.

"He's a player we have been watching for a while. As normal, the club initially weren't too keen to sell him, but then they indicated they would be happy to listen to what we had to say.

"He's a player I think would do a really good job for us."

Smith does not expect Rapid to hold out until after their Europa League play-offs later this month.

"No, there's not that fear," Smith said. "I think we have to have a resolution at some stage next week."

Why they didn't try and get him to sign a precontract is beyond me , then go back and offer Rapid �£1million take it or leave it . We aint talking about Messi

Why they didn't try and get him to sign a precontract is beyond me , then go back and offer Rapid �£1million take it or leave it . We aint talking about Messi

Can they not only offer a pre-contract when the current contract has 6 months left ? He has a full season left on his current contract (2 if some rumours are to be believed).

So I am not sure your proposal could work under UEFA legislation, unless I am mistaken.

Can they not only offer a pre-contract when the current contract has 6 months left ? He has a full season left on his current contract (2 if some rumours are to be believed).

So I am not sure your proposal could work under UEFA legislation, unless I am mistaken.

he would be able to sign a pre-contract in January, I think?