Black becomes Scotland assistant

Scotland have appointed former Airdrie United manager Kenny Black as an assistant coach to Craig Levein.

The 46-year-old was sacked in the summer after Airdrie were relegated to Division Two after a play-off defeat by Brechin City.

Black had been part of the the Scotland coach's staff while he was manager of Leicester City from 2004-06.

Levein said: "I have known him for many years and he will bring plenty of coaching experience and enthusiasm."

Stenhousemuir-born Black, who will join the Scotland staff for the friendly against Sweden in August, will be presented to the media at Hampden Park at 1200 BST.

The 46-year-old played for Rangers, Motherwell, Heart of Midlothian, Portsmouth, Airdrieonians and Raith Rovers during his playing career.

His coaching career began as assistant to Sandy Stewart at Airdrie, but he moved to Leicester in 2004, departing the Championship outfit when Levein was sacked two years later.

Black was manager of Airdrie for four years during which they were relegated three seasons in a row, although they were twice saved from from the drop by financial problems at Gretna and Livingston.

"I am delighted that Kenny is now on board for the campaign," added Levein.

"I'm sure he will be popular with the players and he will also complement my other assistant, Peter Houston."

Houston was Levein's long-term assistant while in club football and took up a part-time role with the national team after succeeding his friend as manager of Dundee United.

I saw the headline and assumed Eric Black and thought that would have been a good scoop but the national team relies on someone who got airdrie relegated!! Im concerned about the upcoming Euro qualifiers before a ball has been kicked.

I saw the headline and assumed Eric Black and thought that would have been a good scoop but the national team relies on someone who got airdrie relegated!! Im concerned about the upcoming Euro qualifiers before a ball has been kicked.

Me too. Eric would have been a good shout. Still have faith in Levein, though. An army of top cllass assistants is no guarantee of anything. Just ask Fabio Capello!