Here's the article content -

Rangers manager Walter Smith admits he may be resigned to losing some of his star names.

Gers revealed earlier in the week that they could not afford to offer any contract extensions to eight players who see their current deals expire next summer.

That means clubs could swoop for the players this summer, and with Rangers finances in a parlous state, offers may have to be accepted.

The likes of Kenny Miller, Kevin Thomson, Danny Wilson, Andy Webster, Neil Alexander, Lee McCulloch, Sasa Papac and Andrius Velicka could all potentially leave Ibrox.

And Smith conceded he was wary of bids being tabled for his star players as reasonable approaches could be accepted, but he took solace from his belief that none of those in question wanted to quit his side.

Stress

He told the Daily Record: "None of the lads have expressed a desire to leave, but if and when we get an enquiry from them, we will have to look at it in the interest of both parties.

"I stress to you categorically that we don't have to sell any player for any given reason.

"Hopefully we can keep the ones we've got, but we are open to a situation that would mean if somebody did enquire we should have to give it consideration."

Smith admitted he would not like to see any of his squad depart, however, he insisted the most pressing matter was the general health of the club.

Debts surrounding the Glasgow giants have hindered their ability to compete in the transfer market in recent times, leading to a period of belt-tightening.

And the veteran boss said it was important to keep Rangers' bank balance in good stead, meaning he would be willing to make sacrifices in order to maintain his employers' well-being.

"We have a situation within the club where in the past the financial aspect was caused by large investment in the team," Smith added.

"Just now we are in a situation where we know we have to help the club. There is a difference there, between the club and the team.

"We have to look after the club's welfare at the present moment, maybe to the detriment of the team to a degree. Hopefully not.

"I could hope to get a couple in and if we don't lose anybody here we are on course financially to keep the club as it is. But if we lose a player or two it starts to become a problem for us."

The likes of Kenny Miller, Kevin Thomson, Danny Wilson, Andy Webster, Neil Alexander, Lee McCulloch, Sasa Papac and Andrius Velicka could all potentially leave Ibrox.

I have no problem with most of these if they leave as long as we get equal replacements!

Kenny Miller - Im a big fan of Kenny and I hope he will stay, Id say its a banker he will.

Kevin Thomson - Never overly impressed me but I think he will improve. Would accept 4 million.

Danny Wilson - seemed to make his bed. I bet he would struggle without mentor Weir next to him. He has to be

consistant to be considered quality.

Andy Webster - hasnt even kicked a ball for Rangers but had a good (not outstanding) season for Dundee Utd. If fit could be a good player for us.

Neil Alexander - Good keeper / No.2. But sign McGregor up on a long term deal and we could get another back up keeper.

Lee McCulloch - Would anyone lose sleep if we sold Lee?

Sasa Papac - Bit of an unsung hero, Id like to keep him.

Andrius Velicka - Crickey - He has made Webster look like he needs a testimonial!

As i said, its not about who leaves though, its about keeping numbers in the squad and getting equal or better replacements. But could we get better players than these in todays inflated market and with our lack of money??

Also - it might be another paper spinner.

I have no problem with most of these if they leave as long as we get equal replacements!

Kenny Miller - Im a big fan of Kenny and I hope he will stay, Id say its a banker he will.

Kevin Thomson - Never overly impressed me but I think he will improve. Would accept 4 million.

Danny Wilson - seemed to make his bed. I bet he would struggle without mentor Weir next to him. He has to be

consistant to be considered quality.

Andy Webster - hasnt even kicked a ball for Rangers but had a good (not outstanding) season for Dundee Utd. If fit could be a good player for us.

Neil Alexander - Good keeper / No.2. But sign McGregor up on a long term deal and we could get another back up keeper.

Lee McCulloch - Would anyone lose sleep if we sold Lee?

Sasa Papac - Bit of an unsung hero, Id like to keep him.

Andrius Velicka - Crickey - He has made Webster look like he needs a testimonial!

As i said, its not about who leaves though, its about keeping numbers in the squad and getting equal or better replacements. But could we get better players than these in todays inflated market and with our lack of money??

Also - it might be another paper spinner.

Our biggest problem is that all these players will need replaced and we wont get all Bosman replacements . Now normally under usual circumstances losing some would not be a major problem but given the threadbare nature of our squad this will cause serious problems from january onwards

You gotta laff at the rags pissin in different pots...........

Alison McConnell

9 Jul 2010

Rangers manager Walter Smith will not welcome any approach for his players before the end of the current transfer window.

The Ibrox boss has confirmed that Middlesbrough have tabled an offer for Kevin Thomson, but insists there has been nothing near an agreement reached between Rangers and Gordon Strachan’s side.

Hamburg showed an interest in defender Madjid Bougherra last month, but have not followed that up with a concrete offer and, so far as Smith is concerned, that is good news.

The Rangers manager would be given “a percentage” from the sale of any players in order to go into the transfer market and replace them but, given that he has already lost top scorer Kris Boyd as well as Nacho Novo and Steven Smith, is reluctant to see any other players head for the exit door.

“Madjid returns to us at the weekend and the interest from Hamburg is all there has been,” said Walter. “We want to keep hold of the championship and that means adding to the squad rather than losing players from it.

“There have been financial restraints on us over the last couple of seasons, but we have still managed to get a good group of players in and be relatively successful.

“If we can keep them together and add a few then I think we will be fine.

“There has been interest from Middlesbrough for Kevin, but there has been no agreement. We would like to stave off any enquiries we get at the present moment for any of our players.

“I would be able to use a percentage from the sale of any player, but hopefully that doesn’t happen. If we can enhance the current squad then I think we will go into the start of the season in decent condition.

“We are strong enough at the back, but the wider areas of the pitch and the midfield areas is where we could be doing with adding players. That’s where we’ll be looking over the next few weeks.”

He added: “The transfer window runs right up until the end of August so maybe we will have to wait until then to see exactly where we are, but we haven’t had many enquiries so far and that is how we want it.”

While not a new signing, Andy Webster offers Smith another option in central defence after he effectively rejuvenated his career on a season-long loan at Dundee United last term.

Davie Weir and Kirk Broadfoot both signed new contracts to leave Smith satisfied with his defensive options which will allow him to bring in more creative players.

One young player, meanwhile, who could step up to assist the reduced first-team squad is 21-year-old defender Jordan McMillan, who today signed a new two-year contract.

Smith said: “Jordan has reached the stage now where he is ready to push on after going out on loan to Queen of the South in the second half of last season.

“He showed up very well in his time in Dumfries and he is ready to come in and support the first team if necessary.”

Smith has already announced that this will be his final year in the dug-out, with the reins expected to be handed over to Ally McCoist and Kenny McDowall next year.

Unlike Sir Alex Ferguson, who backtracked on a public decision to retire, Smith is adamant this will be his last – and he would like to bow out with a third successive league title.

“I have enjoyed a lot of my seasons as a manager,” he said. “I’ll need to try and make it a bit special and that means winning.

“We won’t be more determined to win because we always have that determination about us and the players always have a good attitude to winning games.

“I have said that I’ll be leaving and that is what I’ll do.”

This paper stuff is pointless drivel. The coming season will be brutal, we all know that without reading newspapers. I think we should all just focus on the cricket and the golf because when the football season starts again there may not be much to enjoy. Here at last may be the bottom of the hill we've been sliding down for the last decade. For me, all hope evaporated when the rat Murray announced he was no longer actively pursuing a sale of the club (as if he ever actually had been, cheeky bastard).

Edited by maineflyer

I don't have a clue what you're talking about wabash or what the point of posting the link to that article was supposed to mean. My only guess is that you're again reiterating your point about Walter apparently not being consistent.