We can't keep on using this 'I hate the media' line, though. What do we expect if we take an English feed for our World Cup coverage? That they won't be cheering on their team, even if it goes over the top? The alternative, a studio with Jim Delahunt or Richard Gordon and the usual suspects, would I fear be even worse!

We've made our media bed, now we have to lie in it.

As to the question, with an English bro-in-law, two English cousins and more or less de facto English aunt and uncle, I would be a bit weird if I hated the English. I do like watching them lose at football, though.

I agree with Calscot on this. i don't hate individuals but i do dislike their arrogance as a nation. I am not biased as i don't give an F who beats them. My WC hell would be England and Argentina in the final. I would prefer that someone stole the trophy.

LOL pete, if it comes to any England - Argie game we'll see Diego's handball more times than we'll see Defoe's luckily-klonked-off-the-shin wonder-goal between now and the Germany game and we will see Defoe's goal A LOT. :whistle:

LOL pete, if it comes to any England - Argie game we'll see Diego's handball more times than we'll see Defoe's luckily-klonked-off-the-shin wonder-goal between now and the Germany game and we will see Defoe's goal A LOT. :whistle:

Mixed in with Geoff Hunts goal in 1966.:(

As I mentioned on the WC thread, I thought it was out of order last night when Harry Redknapp was putting down the Serbs saying they were poor and deserved to go home. This is a Serb side that managed to beat the Germans, while England's high flyers struggled to beat lesser teams than the Serbs. I hope the Germans pump the bastards right out in the next round. Maybe then we'll get some balanced, unbiased commentary for the rest of the tournament.

One of the things I was going to mention on my post was the ignorance of them sometimes when referring to anyone out of their own and Harry Redknapp struck my mind instantly.

When Scotland has been in the WC and no England, I don't recall the UK Prime Minister hanging a St Andrews Cross from Downing Steeet either.

I seen this on question time with some English bigot saying "we need to reclaim our flag". What are those weirdos on about? English flags are everywhere, that doesn't mean it should be above the head of the British government instead of the Union flag. You're right, none of them would be interested in flying the Scottish flag. Did they ask for that last year when Andy Murray was in the semi at Wimbledon?

When you live in England you just become more aware of this; how many times have you heard the words 'england' and' Britain' used synonymously? A Scotsman is genetically incapable of making this mistake.

I find this really grating and take the piss out of them about their dodgy "English passports". So many really don't understand the difference between Britain and England except to call non-English people Scots, Irish and Welsh gits. I remember trying to point out the difference to one and with complete obliviousness he blurted out, "But I like Scotland, it has some of the best scenery in England!"

A lot of people also forget the mild endemic racism you get as a Scot in England, which I would say is equally if not prevalent than the equivalent in Scotland (and without the same justifications) - but we're too busy beating ourselves up about how we treat the English to even notice. Scots usually treat it all with good humour.

I've been asked, "What's a Scots git doing down in England anyway?" so many times that I have a standard answer - "To keep an English twat out of a job."

Edited by calscot

A lot of people also forget the mild endemic racism you get as a Scot in England, which I would say is equally if not prevalent than the equivalent in Scotland (and without the same justifications) - but we're too busy beating ourselves up about how we treat the English to even notice. Scots usually treat it all with good humour.

I've been asked, "What's a Scots git doing down in England anyway?" so many times that I have a standard answer - "To keep an English twat out of a job."

I know where you're coming from there Calscot! I lived in Brum for a couple of years working for a company just round the corner from St. Andrews stadium and the mentality towards the Scots is astounding. I moved down there, cold called this company I wanted to work for, sent them a CV, got myself an interview, got myself a job on the spot at the interview, was taken out to meet my new foreman/manager and was introduced to him by the company MD by my Christian name. It was the last time I'd be called by my Christian name by the Co. MD/owner or by the foreman. From then on I was only referred to as 'Jock'. Strangely, they weren't doing it to wind me up & it actually didn't bother me, but I think it's interesting that this Co. owner and his manager chose to call me this. Needless to say, that these two people, one from Brum itself and one from Wolverhampton, were the type of people that were simply downright racist, calling blacks 'coons' and 'wogs', calling Asians all sorts of stuff. Not that white English were the only racists in town right enough!

Could be worse - my brother was called "Sweaty".

I've been called all sorts of stuff with the least offensive being, "Hamish". The majority of it I've just taken as banter as most people would.

What I do get a bit narked off at is when I'm called tight Scot's git for basically not wanting to be ripped off. The ironic thing is that if every English person I've bought a drink started buying me one back, I wouldn't have to pay for a drink for about a year - and I drink fairly frequently.

But you end up putting up with people's foibles and there's plenty of annoying Scots back home - however, I still find it refreshingly friendly, polite and generous when I come up over the border to visit. I have plenty of English friends and an English partner so while I have gripes, I'm not bitter or hateful in the slightest. But if you ask me about it, I've got plenty to say...

I don't think those who live in Scotland realise just how much comes back the other way.

Since the World Cup started I never said fuck all about wanting England to get beat (though I did) yet had plenty of colleagues and gym members at work giving me a hard time about wanting England to go out. Constantly nipping at me about it even though i'd never said anything. I think the sporting rivalry and banter is just as much a part of their nature as ours.