Just wondering how many guys on here hate the English, and if you do why??.

For me I don't hate the English but like most Scottish fans I hate listening to the summarisers/media banging on about them being one of the favourites for the WC,also the arrogant way they talk about other teams especially the wee teams and disrespecting them.

Football aside I hear a lot of Scottish people saying they hate the English!!! which I don't understand. I work with a lot of English guys and they think the majority of Scots hate them, yet if Scotland get a good result they all say well done and always seem to want Scotland to do well.

Thoughts.

I'm exactly with you. I really like English people, culture, history, by and large. I want our neighbours to do well. I honestly don't think the average Englishman is like the commentators, and I'm not going to get aggrevated on behalf of the media. I'd stop short of wanting them to win the entire WC only because we have to share TV channels and the cringeworthiness and arrogance would be unbearable.

My good friend out here is English, she was wondering if I wanted England to win last night, I told her Id enjoy seeing them getting knocked out but id equally enjoy it if it was Semi finals, just as long as they dont win the thing.

Its nothing to do with English direct, there is as much assholes in Scotland as there is in England. Its a form of racism to directly hate all english.

Personally I think John Terry is a knob along with a few others, yet I like Steven Gerrard and 1 or 2 other players, so its a tricky one. Yes the media are beyond annoying but this year has been good in that they almost feel out when they all had them down as group winners before a ball was kicked.

But I just couldnt stand seeing them winning the World Cup. That would be too much. :)

Nah, don't hate them but their media coverage is dreadfully OTT.

They go from being one of the favourites, so being the worst team ever, to being one of the favourites again over the course of a fortnight. Bizarre!

I just try not to pay attention but it is difficult when even the most unsporty of programmes dedicates time to it.

They go from being one of the favourites, so being the worst team ever, to being one of the favourites again over the course of a fortnight. Bizarre!

Sometimes within the course of a game. In the first game against the USA they directed all their praise after their scored towards Cappello like he was a god, analysing every one of his stares from the touchline with affection, and then once they lost the goals they started saying he'd been tampering with player's psychology by keeping from them if they would be playing. Then as soon as they would do something half decent they'd be on-the-verge of worldbeaters again. After the second game I thought they were going to have to send a wee dude with a mop in to clean up their exploded heads at the sheer injustice of them drawing a match.

I'm exactly with you. I really like English people, culture, history, by and large. I want our neighbours to do well. I honestly don't think the average Englishman is like the commentators, and I'm not going to get aggrevated on behalf of the media. I'd stop short of wanting them to win the entire WC only because we have to share TV channels and the cringeworthiness and arrogance would be unbearable.

This is EXACTLY the way I feel.

It is the media coverage and the thought of having to hear about "1966" all over again for the next 50 years that gets me. That said, we are no different - how often do you hear the Tims banging on about 1967 ?

The reality is that winning the WC, or the European Cup, is a HUGE achievement and they actually deserve to bang on about it.

But the outright bias of the British media towards England is overbearing.

I wanted England to qualify but don't want them to win the whole thing simply and solely because of the media thing.

I don't hate the English but I want them to lose as much as I want Celtic to lose.

There's plenty of similarity - we're neighbours and oldest rivals, and their fans and media have incredibly annoying traits.

There's plenty of other reasons to want England to lose.

They are the most disrespectful country in the world when it comes to Scottish football - how many 'Mickey Mouse' comments have you heard among many other uniformed insults.

They have a cheek to go on about Rangers fans behaviour when their fans are obviously significantly worse - and I'm pretty sure the Manchester riot had plenty of local hooligans involved.

Which other World Cup country has to listen to derogatory or dismissive comments from their neighbours - on their own TV channel? I remember watching Scotland play really well in the prestigious opening game of the World Cup to holders and legends Brazil, unluckily losing 1-0. Watching the England v Egypt game on BBC Scotland almost a week later and we get the anchorman introducing the programme with, "And the World Cup starts here." And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

There's similar stuff like not being able to watch Rangers on STV in the Champions League and having to watch English teams instead - what other nation in Europe is subjected to that?

The fact they arrogantly think they won the World Wars when they were a small cog in a big alliance with Russia and the US being the biggest factors - and didn't we win the wars too? Yet we don't go on about it.

There's the fact that almost all the trouble I've seen in pubs after football matches on the telly, have been from England fans - and that includes in Aberdeen!

There's the insults you get for not supporting England from people who claim to support Scotland but who have never deliberately tuned into a Scotland game when it wasn't against England.

There's the fact that they go on about winning the world cup like they should be winning it all the time and are somehow robbed, when in fact they were at home and the only team ever to play all games at their national stadium. Added to that that two goals in the final should have been disallowed - the first not crossing the line and the second due to fans on the pitch.

I also once mentally gave England the chance to reprieve themselves - I said I'd support them if they finished the Holland game 4-0 for us to qualify for the second round of Euro 96. Did they? No they let a schoolboy trundler in between the keepers legs late in the game - almost like it was deliberate! ;)

After that, there was no changing my mind.

Last of all, with all the arrogance and jingoism of English fans combined with how they always play pretty badly even when they get through, with Scotland not qualifying, supporting other teams against them is pretty good fun. Anyway supporting them would only be marginally less painful than supporting Scotland so why subject yourself to it?

In the end, the English like Germany and France to lose because they are considered arrogant and old enemies, why can't we use the same reasons to want England to lose?

I could go on but I think the picture of the crime scene is there. :)