Rangers mates helped Web stay online so he�ll click into place

Andy Webster has no fears about his ability to fit in at Rangers next season ââ?¬â?? after being helped through his injury nightmare by his Ibrox team-mates.

Webster has only played in one competitive match since joining the Gers in 2007; the centre-half turned out, and scored, in a league win over Gretna back in 2008.

The former Hearts, Scotland and Wigan defender has been sidelined with serious ankle and knee problems since that solitary outing in a Light Blue jersey.

However, hopes are high the 28-year-old will play an important role in Walter Smith�s side claiming their third successive SPL title triumph in the forthcoming campaign.

For he got back to his very best during a loan spell with Dundee United last season which culminated with him skippering the Tannadice club to Scottish Cup glory in May.

The player took part in more than 30 games for United, forced his way back into the national set-up and was nominated for the PFA Scotland Player of the Year award.

But Webster has revealed how Rangers stars like Kenny Miller, Lee McCulloch and Davie Weir also played a big part in helping him rediscover his top form during his time on Tayside.

The defender is confident he will be able to slot effortlessly back into the first-team picture thanks to the strong spirit which exists within Smith�s squad.

ââ?¬Å?Although I have finally overcome my injury problems and got back playing week in, week out during my spell at Dundee United, I have a huge amount to thank everybody at Rangers for,ââ?¬Â he said.

ââ?¬Å?They are a great bunch of boys and have really helped me through the darker times. When I was out of action and doubted I would get back playing on a regular basis at a decent level they definitely kept my spirits up.

ââ?¬Å?The Rangers boys welcomed me with open arms and made me feel part of things. They have kept in touch with me when I moved on to United on loan to see how I was getting on. Their support has been important.

ââ?¬Å?I think playing in the SPL with United last season will be helpful for me when I go back to Rangers. It has meant the manager has been able to

monitor my progress closely on a regular basis.�

Despite his successful stint at United, Webster has no qualms about returning to Rangers next season and is looking forward to starting pre-season training at Murray Park later this month.

The Scottish Cup win, achieved courtesy of an emphatic 3-0 triumph over shock finalists Ross County at Hampden, saw the 6ft stopper pick up the first silverware of his rollercoaster career.

And, having enjoyed the sweet taste of success, he believes his best chance of

getting his hands on more

trophies in the future will come with the Glasgow giants.

Webster explained: ââ?¬Å?Football is, at the end of the day, all about winning trophies. To achieve that with Dundee United in the Scottish Cup last season was a fantastic exper-ience for me.

ââ?¬Å?When you go through the difficult times, as I have in the past, it definitely makes you appreciate the good times when they do come along. I think it makes you savour them that bit more.

ââ?¬Å?No doubt about it, it has been great to be part of things at United. The coaching staff, the players, the backroom team and the fans have all been exceptional. It has been great to be part of it.

ââ?¬Å?But there are fresh challenges ahead at Rangers and I am looking forward to meeting them. There is the prospect of playing in the Champions League group stage next season. That is a huge ambition. I also want to play a part in the club winning the title again.

ââ?¬Å?I moved to a big club like Rangers to elevate my career to a new level and, thus far, I have not been able to do that. But there is the opportunity for me to do that now and I will relish the opportunity to get back into things.ââ?¬Â

There is currently serious competition for places at centre-half at Gers.

If Madjid Bougherra stays in Scotland after the World Cup and Danny Wilsonââ?¬â?¢s move to Liverpool ââ?¬â?? who are on the lookout for a new manager after parting company with Rafael Benitez ââ?¬â?? fails to materialise then he will have a fight on his hands for a place.

Yet, the 22-times capped international is looking forward to proving his worth at the Gers and is confident that, after finally putting his injury problems firmly behind him, he can.

He said: ââ?¬Å?When you are a player at either Celtic or Rangers you need to have a strong mentality. You have to go out there to win. That is something which I am quite prepared to accept.

ââ?¬Å?I am a competitive individual and have a hunger to do well and win things. I feel I am moving forward and progressing as a player again and Iââ?¬â?¢m keen to make a major impression at Rangers.ââ?¬Â

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/editor-s-picks/rangers-mates-helped-web-stay-online-so-he-ll-click-into-place-1.1034978

It does seem that Webster is in the form of his life and we're getting him back at a very good time. In saying that I'd still prefer a Bougherra Wilson partnership next season, but the chances of both remaining are slim so Webster is a more than able replacement for either.