Neil Lennon want his Celtic players to question referees after restating his belief that they were hard done by in Old Firm games last season.

The 38-year-old, who was installed as the club's new manager last week, said some of the decisions were "abysmal".

"In the high-profile games, the Rangers games in particular. The club were justified in making a point about it," added Lennon.

"I want to see them (the players)sticking up for each other."

Rangers secured their second successive Scottish Premier League title last season, with Celtic parting company with manager Tony Mowbray before the end of the campaign.

Lennon, who steered the club to eight consecutive league wins before landing the job, believes Celtic failed to get the rub of the green at crucial times.

Marc-Antoine Fortune had a goal chalked off in the Old Firm derby draw in January, and Celtic were unhappy with a number of decisions in both of their derby defeats at Ibrox.

Midfielder Scott Brown was sent off after a clash with Kyle Lafferty in February and the visitors were unsuccessful with a couple of penalty claims in the October meeting.

Celtic were also unsuccessful with an appeal against Brown's dismissal.

"I think some of the decisions we had last season were abysmal," said Celtic.

On his desire to see his players question decisions and support each other on the pitch, said: "I did it myself as a player, not to influence the ref but to let him know we weren't happy.

"Any challenges that were a wee bit heavy, there were two or three of us around the player who did it.

"There was a togetherness and I want to see that again. I want to see them sticking up for each other.

"They did that in the last few games. That's what teams are about - looking after each other on the pitch and having a good spirit off it."

The Celtic manager added: "It's important; it's a basic thing in the game and it's difficult because in the modern game you've got all these different coaches. But we'll try to develop the players and make sure there's an affinity with the club."

I like that Lemon is starting to show his inexperience straight away. That sort of stuff - surrounding the ref, and having an affinity with the club - only works if it seems natural. Coming out and essentially stating you're going to try and have decisions go your way and manufacture a sense of team spirit seems properly naive.

I like that Lemon is starting to show his inexperience straight away. That sort of stuff - surrounding the ref, and having an affinity with the club - only works if it seems natural. Coming out and essentially stating you're going to try and have decisions go your way and manufacture a sense of team spirit seems properly naive.

C****c FC=CHEATS:)

This guy is warming it up nicely for next season!

He is just another manager that WS has to gub first time round! How many has WS seen off so far??? Hay, McNeill, Macari, Burns, Jansen, Venglos, Barnes, O'Neill, Strachan and now Lemon. :box:

More sending offs and we won't hear the end of it. Even though the ref will be entirely right to if they start surrounding them. Are they trying to be Chelsea? It never works.

Walter Smith never played Barnes Gribz ;)

Although he is a crap manager, this is why i didn't want him apointed as their manager. He will attempt to bring Scottish football down to his level.

He is an evil, sex-pesting, dishonourable bigot.