Ryan Giggs being 20 years at arguably the biggest club on the planet, playing in one of, if not THE, biggest league on the planet, playing every single season in the planet's biggest competition is not a particularly good comparable for ANYONE playing with Rangers.

If Mcgregor, or Boyd, were at Man U (yes, I know, no chance) then I suspect that neither of them would be looking to leave.

I think that we need to spend a touch more time looking at the circumstance than looking at the players. Rangers are not the club we once were, depending on who you believe we are in financial crisis, we are playing in a back-water league and even though we play in the CL most seasons (although that depends on qualification at time) our finances are dictating that we are nothing more than whipping boys in that competition.

I can see what you are saying FH but the reality of the situation is that whilst we love our club these guys have to play week in, week out against the same teams AT LEAST 4 times a year. That will induce boredom.

Am i disappointed to hear these things ? Course I am. Am I surprised ? No. Would I feel that way if I played for Ranger ? Would love the chance to find out - but I suspect I would after a few years.

Don't forget that you are not solely looking at 2 years here. Boyd has been with us for 4 years and McGregor has been with us for considerably longer. 4 years playing against St Mirren, Falkirk etc would bore you to tears if truth be told.

I don't blame any player for moving and getting themselves a shit load more money plus playing in a better standard league,especially if the said players gave their all while wearing the Rangers colours,and both these players did that,IMO,regardless of how good I or anybody else thinks they are.

Guest Flying Hippo

I'm not begrudging McGregor a move. I wouldn't be particularly sad if he left. But why oh why did the token 'achieved all he can achieve' line have to be trotted out? FFS just stay silent and make it sound like the club made you leave. Or say you want to escape Scotland. Or say you fancied playing in the sun. 'Achieved all he can achieve' is a line you'd expect to hear from a Zidane or a Giggs or a Gerrard. Not Allan McGregor.

The major difference between McGregor and Boyd here is that Boyd's statement was directly from him, stating he wanted a new challenge and it was time to move on etc. McGregor's 'quote' is an indirect and potentially innaccurate comment from his agent.

But I do admit McGregor's own silence suggests he is at least considering the move.

I'm not begrudging McGregor a move. I wouldn't be particularly sad if he left. But why oh why did the token 'achieved all he can achieve' line have to be trotted out? FFS just stay silent and make it sound like the club made you leave. Or say you want to escape Scotland. Or say you fancied playing in the sun. 'Achieved all he can achieve' is a line you'd expect to hear from a Zidane or a Giggs or a Gerrard. Not Allan McGregor.

tbh it's a contextual comment and can apply depending on circumstances. I'm not sure what more McGregor can achieve at Rangers - he's been here all his career bar that loan spell, and has played in the CL and the then Uefa Cup. We're not good enough, as things stand, to progress to the last 16 of the CL again, and he's achieved that anyway.

It's a tired old line, but not strictly one which is untrue. More one which is depressing to hear.

Guest Flying Hippo

He's won 4 league titles. Winning 5 would be more of an achievement than 4. There's always new targets to aim for. In Boyd's case, scoring a goal against Celtic that actually matters

He's won 4 league titles. Winning 5 would be more of an achievement than 4. There's always new targets to aim for. In Boyd's case, scoring a goal against Celtic that actually matters

But at what point does it go stale ? At what point does winning yet another title not mean nearly as much as it did previously.

He has won 4, would 5 drastically change his mindset ? Having won 4 titles I actually think it would strengthen the "I need a new challenge" argument rather than weaken it.

Also... regards the 9-in-a-row team - also don't forget that during much, if not all, of that period we were paying wages which were amongst the best in Britain, if not THE best. So a bunch of those players were winning trophies consistently but also were being paid in the upper echelons of the sport at the time.

McGregor and Boyd can leave and command salaries at least double (at least in Boyd's case) what they currently are on. McGregor would no doubt command a higher salary than he is currently on too.

Again, I know you were emotionally charged in making your initial statement and I can see that it still ires you - but we sometimes have to appreciate that whilst we support the club that is a far cry from it being your livelihood. Money isnt everything but a 100% hike in salary (regardless of the fact current salary is ridiculous to the regular Joe) is a HUGE jump - and to throw in that you would likely be playing in a better league, against better players and in a better climate (not sure Boyd would like the heat of Turkey right enough....) then it is relatively easy to see why they feel the need for a "new challenge".

And as Danny says, "a new challenge" really is a much used cliche in football. Used to cover a multitude of things.

If we take the emotion out of it (no-one wants to lose emotion from football, I know..) then the facts present themselves as making sense.

I seem to remember Gregory Vignal not seeing us as much of a challenge. Don't think he impressed anyone elsewhere.

And there are plenty of others with a similar story. They seem to find a challenge that is far too hard for them.

Maybe it's the old promotion to your level of incompetence clich�©.