Rangers turn their attention to Maoulida

Guest Flying Hippo

Yes, the idea of another season of Davis wide right and Naismith wide left is very depressing. Outwith 8 or 9 games last season, we were utterly horrid to watch, and the only reason it was tolerated was because we were top of the league. I doubt it would be if we were 9 or 10 points behind.

That was my personal opinion as well, 2 strikers of the same nature don't work unless they are world class. I got really annoyed when Walter did the same with Cousin and Velicka or Boyd iirc, it was friendlies but I knew it wouldn't work. I think he played Darcheville and Miller together against Kaunas and that annoyed me.

I still think wingers are the option at the moment, but I can't see it happening. Seem to be repeating myself a lot with that statement :(.

Personaly I don't think we need to buy a striker, we do need wide players and a couple of defenders, unless of course WS is planning on continuing with Lafferty/Naismith/Davis/Fleck as our wide players??, I hope not

We don't need another striker in the 'style of Darcheville'

I personally hated it when Walter kept trying to pair Darcheville and Miller up front. A partnership doesn't work if both of them do most of their work outside the box

Well, we have potential in a box striker in Lafferty, a definite one in Velicka, so technically the only outside box striker we really have is Miller. Add Fleck and Naismith to that and it's a reasonable mix.

This lad seems to be able to finish but also has a bit of pace about him. Didn't catch all the video but did he manage any goals with his head - cause at 6ft + I'd be expecting an aerial threat. Hopefully more in the Cousin mould than the Darcheville!

On the video he does seem able to finish. Although stats on a disputed source (:whistle:) shows he doesn't have a great goal scoring record. France will be tougher than the SPL, so hard to judge.

Perhaps Walter has also identified wide players as targets - Petrov would appear to be one and who knows with more than 11 weeks left of the transfer window we might get a winger or two. Petrov would certainly be an excellent signing but I can't see us playing 442 next season with two wingers and having lost Boyd and Novo we really do need to sign a striker as Velicka and Lafferty are not the answer.

Perhaps Walter has also identified wide players as targets - Petrov would appear to be one and who knows with more than 11 weeks left of the transfer window we might get a winger or two. Petrov would certainly be an excellent signing but I can't see us playing 442 next season with two wingers and having lost Boyd and Novo we really do need to sign a striker as Velicka and Lafferty are not the answer.

I'm with you there, not sure about Petrov, a lower pre team might pick him up or he will move back to Spain. I definitely see us reverting back to a 4-5-1 but this still means we need some width which we do not have. I'd give Lafferty, Velicka and Naismith a chance but still feel they need competition especially if they play poorly during the first few games of the season.

Yes, the idea of another season of Davis wide right and Naismith wide left is very depressing. Outwith 8 or 9 games last season, we were utterly horrid to watch, and the only reason it was tolerated was because we were top of the league. I doubt it would be if we were 9 or 10 points behind.

I think you can say that about any system. If you are 9 or 10 points behind then something is not right.

But it's the system we've used since we signed Davis, save a few matches - and our results have been generally decent with it. 2 leagues, should have been 3. Pretty or not, it's been effective and us winning the last 2 leagues surely are due to the system as much as you think it's despite it?