Rangers turn their attention to Maoulida

Rangers turn their attention to Maoulida to bolster their attack

heraldscotland staff

Share 0 comments

8 Jun 2010

Rangers could be set to take advantage of the financial crisis that has enveloped French side Lens, by signing experienced striker Toifilou Maoulida in a cut-price �£500,000 deal.

Reports in France suggest that the Ibrox club, in the grip of financial restraints themselves, have lined up a move for Maoulida to bolster their depleted attack following the departures of Nacho Novo and Kris Boyd.

While Maoulida ââ?¬â?? who has previously been a target for West Ham United, Stoke City and Newcastle United ââ?¬â?? doesnââ?¬â?¢t quite carry the goal threat of Boyd, he is highly experienced and respected as one of the most colourful characters in French football.

He has starred in almost 300 top-flight games for the likes of Montpellier, AS Monaco and Olympique Marseille during a 13-year career ââ?¬â?? with a goal average of one in every three games.

However, itââ?¬â?¢s his goal celebrations that have brought him plenty of headlines with his own unique take on the ââ?¬Ë?message on a T-shirtââ?¬â?¢ routine.

To avoid being booked for raising his jersey, Maoulida, who was 31 yesterday, started a new craze in 2005. While starring for Marseille against Nice, he tied a tissue to his shorts inscribed with thank-you notes to family, friends and fans ââ?¬â?? a celebration he has since repeated 39 times with a unique message each time.

Signed by former Rangers manager Paul Le Guen for Rennes as a youngster, Maoulida ââ?¬â?? who is similar in style and presence to former Ranger striker Jean-Claude Darcheville ââ?¬â?? is keen to try his luck abroad and would view Champions League-bound Rangers as the perfect place to kickstart his career.

Despite being Lens� top scorer in a successful promotion campaign the season before, Maoulida found himself relegated to the bench for much of last term, but still scored 10 times in 24 games.

He took a voluntary pay cut in the New Year as Lens were threatened with closure due to spiralling debts and is one of seven players the club have placed on the transfer list in an attempt to bring in some much-needed funds.

In recent weeks, Rangers have also been linked with Portsmouth pair Tommy Smith and David Nugent, as well as Honduran World Cup striker Georgie Welcome, as they try to fill the void left by Boyd.

Welcome, who players for Motagua in his homeland, is believed to be available for �£600,000.

Thanks for that Ian but i must admit i don't really put much credence on you-tube films. I remember a fantastic film of Sebo and that has put me off for life.

Thanks for that Ian but i must admit i don't really put much credence on you-tube films. I remember a fantastic film of Sebo and that has put me off for life.

Aye,I know,I was just about to post the same article,but you beat me to it,I already had the youtube research done:)

Nice work on the vid. Thing that makes me feel better about this is that looking at that, most of his goals are in the 18 yard box and a lot are tap in's. Seems like he knows where to be. Could be a good signing.

Guest Flying Hippo

We don't need another striker in the 'style of Darcheville'

I personally hated it when Walter kept trying to pair Darcheville and Miller up front. A partnership doesn't work if both of them do most of their work outside the box

We don't need another striker in the 'style of Darcheville'

I personally hated it when Walter kept trying to pair Darcheville and Miller up front. A partnership doesn't work if both of them do most of their work outside the box

That was my personal opinion as well, 2 strikers of the same nature don't work unless they are world class. I got really annoyed when Walter did the same with Cousin and Velicka or Boyd iirc, it was friendlies but I knew it wouldn't work. I think he played Darcheville and Miller together against Kaunas and that annoyed me.

I still think wingers are the option at the moment, but I can't see it happening. Seem to be repeating myself a lot with that statement :(.

This lad seems to be able to finish but also has a bit of pace about him. Didn't catch all the video but did he manage any goals with his head - cause at 6ft + I'd be expecting an aerial threat. Hopefully more in the Cousin mould than the Darcheville!