BOYD feels time is right to move on from champions

More...

KRIS BOYD says he is leaving Rangers this summer because he feels he needs a new challenge outside Scotland.

The 26-year-old was given the opportunity to stay with the Light Blues after his deal at Ibrox expired.

But although he hasn't decided where his final destination will be, the prolific hitman has conceded it won't be in this country.

Boyd has a lucrative offer from Turkish side Kayserispor to contemplate, while Blackburn, Newcastle, Middlesbrough and Wolves are also keen.

Wherever he ends up, the striker is adamant it'll be because he feels he will be happy playing his football there rather than because of financial reasons.

Boyd told The Scottish Sun: "This has been the biggest decision of my life. I've spent months thinking about what to do and still haven't come to a final decision.

"I've been the top goalscorer at the club every season since I arrived from Kilmarnock. Now it's time to move on but this isn't a decision I've taken lightly.

"With everything that's going on at Rangers and winning the double last season, I think now is the time but I'll always be a Rangers fan and that will never change.

"It's time for me to leave Scottish football. I need a fresh challenge. I just need to take my time before deciding what's next for me.

"This is an important move for me. It needs to be somewhere I enjoy my football - that's crucial.

"Wherever I go, the money will be there but it's not about that. It really isn't. The most important thing is you enjoy playing."

Rangers' Old Firm rivals Celtic have been credited with an interest in Boyd, although any chance of a controversial move across Glasgow has already been quashed.

Boyd added: "I know there's been talk of me going from Rangers to Celtic. If I did that it wouldn't be a penalty box I'd be in - it would be a wooden box!

"I'll sit down with my family over the next few days and come to a decision. Swapping Ibrox for Parkhead will not be happening."

Edited by Zappa

I doubt he'll enjoy his football in Turkey or England for different reasons. I think it's all about the money and he'll find out how unenjoyable it is away from Rangers.

He's in his element here and he won't score so much or maybe even play so much elsewhere. Without the barrel-load of goals he gets here, he may not be that popular with future fans.

However, good luck to him, it's not as if he owes us anything and our fans have not exactly treated him impeccably either - and that's with his goals.

I doubt he'll enjoy his football in Turkey or England for different reasons. I think it's all about the money and he'll find out how unenjoyable it is away from Rangers.

He's in his element here and he won't score so much or maybe even play so much elsewhere. Without the barrel-load of goals he gets here, he may not be that popular with future fans.

However, good luck to him, it's not as if he owes us anything and our fans have not exactly treated him impeccably either - and that's with his goals.

He's likely to be one of those players whose true worth will be defined only by his absence.

He's likely to be one of those players whose true worth will be defined only by his absence.

In which way?

Team start playing better / more attractive in the final 3rd?

Or

We will be down 25+ goals a season? (remember before Boyd signed we scored 90 odd in a season)

Or

We will be looking at his performances whereever he goes and saying we knew he peaked in the SPL against the Falkirks and St Mirrens??

Or

He gets 30 goals playing for his new employers and those who criticised him dont have an argument?

One last Boyd debate :)

This smacks of damage control imo.

What's so bad about playing for Rangers and being top scorer? Why does he need a 'new challenge'? The only new challenge he wants is picking a new bank account for all the cash he'll get at his new team.

I was also reading Mols in the Times yesterday, and it's true that whatever team he goes to will have to mould and build themselves around him - because he is such an inflexible striker. And I can't see any team holding him in as high a regard as that.

But I might be wrong.

If he goes to the premiership I'll be surprised if he hits anything close to double figures. that said, the premiership isn't what it used to be and there's a lot of pish strikers that do ok.

I'm surprised that he doesn't consider staying & helping Rangers to 3IAR as a new challenge for himself and I'm also surprised that he doesn't want to stay for another season or 2 and put his SPL all-time top scorer record way out of reach.

I'm surprised that he doesn't consider staying & helping Rangers to 3IAR as a new challenge for himself and I'm also surprised that he doesn't want to stay for another season or 2 and put his SPL all-time top scorer record way out of reach.

Its way out of reach currently, closest player to it is Riordan I believe on 84 goals. I think he could move and then there is no current active player above 60 goals.

This smacks of damage control imo.

What's so bad about playing for Rangers and being top scorer? Why does he need a 'new challenge'? The only new challenge he wants is picking a new bank account for all the cash he'll get at his new team.

I was also reading Mols in the Times yesterday, and it's true that whatever team he goes to will have to mould and build themselves around him - because he is such an inflexible striker. And I can't see any team holding him in as high a regard as that.

But I might be wrong.

The more I think about it the more I think you could have hit the nail on the head there.