Boyd holds Turk exit talks

Just playing devil's advocate here, but a constant theme amongst most Scottish fans is that we think the majority of our players would benefit from a spell playing with a club outside of the UK. So should Boyd be getting praised instead of criticised for considering a move to Turkey?

TBH, no matter what Boyd does some supporters will criticise him, so I shouldn't be surprised to read some of the stuff online that's been posted about him, but he more than any other player has managed to show just how fickle our support can be at times.

He's the best! He's the worst! He's a legend, he's beaten Henrik! He's working his ticket out of here. He's the best again! Get tae fuck Boyd. etc.

We should have either offered him a new contract when his current one had 18-24 months to run and if he didn't sign, start listening to offers. Its not like the Bosman ruling has just come in to force or anything.

Guest Flying Hippo

Look at all the British players who've played in Turkey

Kevin Campbell - called a canibal by his club's owner, back in England inside 9 months

Darius Vassell - thrown out of his hotel after his club decided they didn't want to pay for it anymore

Dean Saunders - back after 1 season

Barry Venison - back after 1 season

Mike Marsh - back after 1 season

It seems a very strange place for a young Scottish lad to go

Guest Flying Hippo
I'm not convinced Boyd will leave yet...

All the signs point to it - officially or unofficially - but it wouldn't surprise me to see him stay.

There's no chance he'll stay, not now the 'i need a new challenge' stuff has been released

Just playing devil's advocate here, but a constant theme amongst most Scottish fans is that we think the majority of our players would benefit from a spell playing with a club outside of the UK. So should Boyd be getting praised instead of criticised for considering a move to Turkey?

It just depends on how you look at it. When the first talk of interest from Turkish clubs was mentioned I said that I thought there was no way Boyd would go out there to play, but the more I've thought about it, the more the idea has appealed to me. It doesn't need to be an Istanbul giant either because he might not want to live and play somewhere as crazy as that. Turkey could actually be a really nice place to live if the location is right and he could have an excellent lifestyle out there with plenty sunshine, good food etc. The Turkish league isn't as high standard as the EPL or other top leagues in Europe of course, but it is better than the SPL, it IS a step up in terms of the standard of league despite the fact that he'd be moving to a smaller club than Rangers.

I'm not convinced Boyd will leave yet...

All the signs point to it - officially or unofficially - but it wouldn't surprise me to see him stay.

There's no chance he'll stay, not now the 'i need a new challenge' stuff has been released

I think I feel the same as Frankie about this. I'm still not convinced that he's leaving despite the press reports. That said, maybe I'm still shocked and in a state of disbelief because it just hasn't sunk in yet... It'll sink in when he officially signs for a new club. ;)

It just depends on how you look at it. When the first talk of interest from Turkish clubs was mentioned I said that I thought there was no way Boyd would go out there to play, but the more I've thought about it, the more the idea has appealed to me. It doesn't need to be an Istanbul giant either because he might not want to live and play somewhere as crazy as that. Turkey could actually be a really nice place to live if the location is right and he could have an excellent lifestyle out there with plenty sunshine, good food etc. The Turkish league isn't as high standard as the EPL or other top leagues in Europe of course, but it is better than the SPL, it IS a step up in terms of the standard of league despite the fact that he'd be moving to a smaller club than Rangers.

It's probably a nice place to live when you're older but a young man could easily feel like he's missing out on something while living over there. It's a long way from friends and family and a difficult language to learn - especially seeing as Scotland's standard of fluency in foreign languages is a bit embarrassing to start with.

I can also see the fans being more fickle than ours - especially with an expensive foreigner.