Galatasaray line up bid for Rangers' Bougherra

Danny, by "one of our own" I meant one of our own players - I certainly wouldn't suggest that Bougherra is a "Ranger".

Wishing ill-will on one of our own players is horrific in my opinion. Wishing it on opponents isnt much better (although I have, at times, wished ill of Neil Lennon - he deserves it though :devil: )

Might not be so cut and dry. From today's Sun (I know I know, but there's actual quotes from him):

Madjid Bougherra insists Walter Smith signing a contract and the prospect of another season of Champions League football has made him want to stay at Rangers next season. It has been claimed the Algeria defender turned down an extension to his contract, which still has two years to run, and had also demanded a pay rise.

But despite reports this will lead to him being sold this summer, the 27-year-old former Charlton man - who has made no secret of his desire to return the Barclays Premier League one day - expects to be back in pre-season training after the World Cup.

He cannot wait to resume working with manager Smith, who this week signed a new one-year deal with the Clydesdale Bank Premier League champions.

Bougherra told the Scottish Sun: "Walter deserves his contract. After working for months without a deal, people can't say he's at Rangers just for the money. He is staying as he loves the club and everything the club has achieved in the past three years is down to him. This will be his last season but he has the strength and personality to build one more team and win the title again.

"Walter signing his contract is better for me. He knows my style, he knows my game and he's been great with me. I am happy to stay and I will give Rangers 200%. I have two years left on my contract and I have not asked to negotiate. I have never asked for a contract and I plan to be back for pre-season training after the World Cup."

Guest Flying Hippo

Bougie is the best defender in Scotland by a mile imo and if he's committed then it would obviously be great to have him here next season. But what's the point if he's going to play 18 games like last season?

someone will need to go , there is no way we can afford to have two center halves sitting on their arses , I realise we will have injuries and suspensions , but we have other areas that need covered or infact strengthened , wide right and left spring to mind.

If I had to choose it would be by by Bougie and keep Weir , hopefully getting Wilson to sign an extension ( I know I know but you can but hope )

I am not sure who I would wish to see go, from a playing perspective at least.

IMO we looked far stronger last season defensively when Bougherra was in there. Wilson is very cultured but I felt we looked less comfortable when in there.

But then you have the knowledge that Bougherra wants to leave... which is mitigated by the fact that it seems Wilson does too.

As it stands it actually makes more sense for us to let Wilson go because he only has a year left on his contract. When you think about it the chances are that BOTH will leave either this pre-season or next.

Wilson is a great prospect but, as it stand, we either get 3-5 million for him now or nothing for him at the end of the upcoming season.

Bougherra we would get probably 5 million for him - difference being that next pre-season we could still cash in on him. he will go at the end of his current contract and with there being 2 yrs left on it we could at least get cashnext year.

Ideally we would be building our team around these two. Realistically they will BOTH be leaving in the next year or so.

Given we wont be seeing either of them for the long term in a Rangers jersey we should be looking to maximise our income on them - and the way I see it, selling Wilson now and selling Bougherra at the end of the upcoming season is a win-win (as far as that can go when you lose players) because we would have a stronger defensive unit with Bougherra there for another title tilt and we would recognise more income from sales.

Guest Flying Hippo
someone will need to go , there is no way we can afford to have two center halves sitting on their arses , I realise we will have injuries and suspensions , but we have other areas that need covered or infact strengthened , wide right and left spring to mind.

If I had to choose it would be by by Bougie and keep Weir , hopefully getting Wilson to sign an extension ( I know I know but you can but hope )

Have to disagree. I'd gladly wish Weir all the best in his retirement if it meant keeping Bougie for another year

Have to disagree. I'd gladly wish Weir all the best in his retirement if it meant keeping Bougie for another year

I dont actually disagree with your comment but unfortunately I think that long term keeping Weir is a better bet given that we will get more money for Boogie , where as if we wait another year we will be in the same situation where he wants to go

Guest Flying Hippo
I dont actually disagree with your comment but unfortunately I think that long term keeping Weir is a better bet given that we will get more money for Boogie , where as if we wait another year we will be in the same situation where he wants to go

I don't think we have any long term plan at the club sadly. Davis has only 2 years left on his contract, for example, and there's been no talk whatsoever about an extension

However, Bougie is, in my opinion, our only player not out of his depth in the Champions League. Weir is a liability at that level. And selling a 27 year old to keep a 40 year old makes no sense at all