Rangers ahead of Wigan Athletic for Cardiff hero Ledley

Guest Flying Hippo
Would he choose us over better wages in the EPL?

Champions League football then off to the Premiership in January. Would also mean 2 juicy signing on fees in the space of 6 months

Does it appearing in the paper, with our signing philosophy, not mean it's less likely to happen rather than more?

I would agree with that. The press are far more often completely wrong than right. In fact message boards have a far higher accuracy rate...

very good player who i'd love to sign for us but i'm sure we'll be linked to quite a few players in the silly season :sigh:

Indeed true. Ledley's quality but out of our league. If this guy is worth 8M, then obviously I'm not understanding things but why would we be in any way attractive over a bunch of EPL clubs?

Indeed true. Ledley's quality but out of our league. If this guy is worth 8M, then obviously I'm not understanding things but why would we be in any way attractive over a bunch of EPL clubs?

The CL is all we can offer him that he might not get at this stage of his career......

The CL is all we can offer him that he might not get at this stage of his career......

Well we'll need the signings this summer to ensure we do not get ass-raped in it next season.

The reason we would be more attractive is down to demand for him.

Cardiff turned down a documented offer of 8.2 million in January for him. If he joins another club in the English leagues his transfer fee would be settled by tribunal given he is only 23.

As there is a documented offer on the table previously the interested clubs are worried that, rather than get him for nothing, they would have to stump up over 8 mill for a guy who really should be a Bosman signing.

It isnt so much about who Ledley would be attracted to playing with but more to do with EPL clubs possibly being scared off by the uncertainty of a trinbunal based fee which could be very steep.

Would be some great business for us if we tempted him, even if just for 6 months - and we sold him on for 4 mill - good short-term business to keep the bankers at bay.

Tribunal fees are never what the club losing the player want. Its always under what they value the player, Sturridge for example Man City wanted �£10m and I think they only got �£3m-�£4m. Sturridge is English, Ledley is Welsh not in the premiership max it would be �£2m.

Tribunal fees are never what the club losing the player want. Its always under what they value the player, Sturridge for example Man City wanted �£10m and I think they only got �£3m-�£4m. Sturridge is English, Ledley is Welsh not in the premiership max it would be �£2m.

Which part are you missing here though metlika ?

This is really nothing to do with what Cardiff want..... Someone (Wigan, I think) already had a confirmed offer of 8.2 million refused. That has nothing to do with what Cardiff want - but it will show the tribunal how much at least one other club were prepared to pay for him - hence his value is unlikely to be set at much less than that 8.2 mill. It WOULD be less but likely not significantly so.

Ledley being Welsh doesnt have a bearing on the tribunal process I dont believe. He is playing under the auspices of the English FA and it is they that will set the transfer value. Which association the player is registered under is the decisive factor, not his nationality - I think !