I think it would be a sad day for the UEFA/Europa Cup if a lowly club like Fulham won it just because of a sugar daddy and then the Sky money. It would only show how uncompetitive the whole thing is with disproportionate finances being the only reason for winning.

I remember when Fulham were a bit of a joke team supported by the perennial failure, Citizen Smith...

Later remember watching them play Sunderland at Rocker Park while they were in the old 3rd division.

I seen them again about 5 years ago playing Rangers where, while we were "downsizing" under Eck, we still played them off the park, although won by a single but fantastic goal from a bicycle kick by Prso.

It's now shocking we can't even hope to compete with them in the transfer market.

When middling English teams start winning the second UEFA trophy due to being far richer than the rest of Europe, it's time to bin the whole competition.

Fulham have some good workmanlike players, but the difference between them and Atletico on paper is clear for all to see. They have Davies, Zamora, Duff, Haangeland, Etuhu, while Atletico have Aguero, Forlan, Reyes, Simao and Ujfalusi. In the end they made a good fight of it, but the best team won.

I think it would be a sad day for the UEFA/Europa Cup if a lowly club like Fulham won it just because of a sugar daddy and then the Sky money. It would only show how uncompetitive the whole thing is with disproportionate finances being the only reason for winning.

I remember when Fulham were a bit of a joke team supported by the perennial failure, Citizen Smith...

Later remember watching them play Sunderland at Rocker Park while they were in the old 3rd division.

I seen them again about 5 years ago playing Rangers where, while we were "downsizing" under Eck, we still played them off the park, although won by a single but fantastic goal from a bicycle kick by Prso.

It's now shocking we can't even hope to compete with them in the transfer market.

When middling English teams start winning the second UEFA trophy due to being far richer than the rest of Europe, it's time to bin the whole competition.

I think this is a bit unfair. When you look at their squad it's hardly crammed full of world class players - they've merely had an excellent run to the final, just like we did, with our own fairly mediocre team which punched well above its weight, as did theirs. Celtic's was the same back in 2003.

Some smaller and weaker teams can occasionally make it to finals - christ, Portsmouth are in the FA cup final without a so called 'sugar daddy'.

Instead of slagging Fulham off as being better than they have a right to be, I'd give them credit for managing to make an unlikely final. Just like we did. And they were beaten by the better team, as we were.