Gio to retire from all football after the World Cup

Guest Flying Hippo

Albertz tends to be overrated as a footballer by younger fans who were only around 10 or 11 when he played for us

His scoring record was sensational and he was a Novo-esque cult figure, but he wasn't a magnificent all round player, far from it

Agreed. His workate, inability to head a ball and being scared of 50/50 tackles were Albeřtzs downfalls but he more than made up for it with important goals, plenty of them against Celtic too and his love of everything Rangers.

Gio was a fantastic player for us and I wish him well. I would imagine he would stay in football in some capacity. On some of the other players mentioned I think McCann was very underrated. I remember when we sold him I was on holiday and thought someone was at the wind up. Always gave 100%

Reyna was good while at the club and will be remembered for that goal against Parma. Less said about the comments once he left the better! Albertz well what can you say The Hammer had some shot did he not:) Always looked a little lazy when not in possession but more than made up for it. I'm sure there is a vid out of his goals during his time at Ibrox. That about says it all

Guest Flying Hippo
Gio was a fantastic player for us and I wish him well. I would imagine he would stay in football in some capacity. On some of the other players mentioned I think McCann was very underrated. I remember when we sold him I was on holiday and thought someone was at the wind up. Always gave 100%

Reyna was good while at the club and will be remembered for that goal against Parma. Less said about the comments once he left the better! Albertz well what can you say The Hammer had some shot did he not:) Always looked a little lazy when not in possession but more than made up for it. I'm sure there is a vid out of his goals during his time at Ibrox. That about says it all

McCann was on the bench for us against Linfield on the Tuesday (i think) night and the very next afternoon he had signed for Southampton. Crazy to think a deal could be done so quickly in this day and age

Albertz tends to be overrated as a footballer by younger fans who were only around 10 or 11 when he played for us

Afraid i cant agree with that. I certainly wasnt 10 or 11 when he was there. He was an attack minded player so his game wasnt about tracking back and defending, thats what his team mates of tugay, Gio and ferguson were doing.

Albertz was a fantastic passer of the ball also. When he first came to Ibrox WS started him off at LB and he was class there also. Remember the 3-1 NY OF game in 1997 when we won 3-1....he scored the first and set Bo Anderson up for the other 2. In the same season we beat Celtic 2-0 in the first OF game at Ibrox, his cross set up Gough for the first and Gazza for the late winner.

Id probably say Albertz had as much assists as he did goals.

Guest Flying Hippo
Afraid i cant agree with that. I certainly wasnt 10 or 11 when he was there. He was an attack minded player so his game wasnt about tracking back and defending, thats what his team mates of tugay, Gio and ferguson were doing.

Albertz was a fantastic passer of the ball also. When he first came to Ibrox WS started him off at LB and he was class there also. Remember the 3-1 NY OF game in 1997 when we won 3-1....he scored the first and set Bo Anderson up for the other 2. In the same season we beat Celtic 2-0 in the first OF game at Ibrox, his cross set up Gough for the first and Gazza for the late winner.

Id probably say Albertz had as much assists as he did goals.

He wasn't a bad player by any means but he was nowhere near the class of Van Bronckhorst, Ferguson, or even Reyna. He could change a game with one ping of his left foot and having that ability will always get a player noticed to a greater degree than a workhorse-type

Guest Flying Hippo
I would say Albertz was better than Ferguson.

No way could Albertz have done what Barry Ferguson did in the first 18 months of the McLeish reign, practically carry the team to 5 consequtive(sp?) trophies

Albertz and Ferguson are/were different types of players to be fair...

I liked the big German and he was an important player for us for a few years. His mobility and work-rate wasn't the best - Charlie Adam is probably the nearest comparison in recent years.