Gio to retire from all football after the World Cup

Guest Flying Hippo

Guest Flying Hippo
What was that? I always really liked Reyna. :(

Reyna claimed that Sunderland were a bigger club than Rangers

Interesting fact - Reyna was offered a contract just before he left that would've made him the best paid player in Rangers history. Given that Klos and de Boer were already on our books at the time (so clearly Reyna was offered more than what they were on, and no player since has eclipsed that wage), he would still be our highest paid player ever had he signed it

Edited by Flying Hippo

And what happened to him? Like many who leave Rangers, his profile seemed to drop dramatically. That may be just a parochial Scottish point of view, but you can still make a famous name for yourself for other teams in other leagues.

And what happened to him? Like many who leave Rangers, his profile seemed to drop dramatically. That may be just a parochial Scottish point of view, but you can still make a famous name for yourself for other teams in other leagues.

Very true. So many seem to think because they are a top player in the SPL that they can do the same in other places. How many former OF players have done a Boumsong / Reyna and went downhill after leaving either Rangers or Celtic - lots!

You just have to look at a list of some real class acts who have been successful in other leagues before and after the SPL. Laudrup, Gascoigne, De Boer, Gio, Arteta, Gough, Larsson, Di Canio, Lambert...to name a few.

Guest Flying Hippo
Boumsong is doing pretty at Lyon now... ;)

His career has been a failure if you consider how highly rated he was when we signed him

Flopped at Newcastle

Flopped at Juventus

Now back playing in France for the worst Lyon team in 10 years

I really detested him after he left us. The whole transfer left a disgusting taste in the mouth, �£8 million profit or no �£8 million profit

His career has been a failure if you consider how highly rated he was when we signed him

Flopped at Newcastle

Flopped at Juventus

Now back playing in France for the worst Lyon team in 10 years

I really detested him after he left us. The whole transfer left a disgusting taste in the mouth, �£8 million profit or no �£8 million profit

Lyon reached the SF of the CL this season somethimg that previous Lyon teams have failed to do in the last 10 seasons.

Gribz, I'd say Reyna was a better player than Albertz.

Guest Flying Hippo

Regardless of where they came in the CL, i don't think anyone could argue that this Lyon team is a patch on the one that had Juninho, Essien, Diarra etc. Though that's pretty much irrelevant anyway. Boumsong turned down Liverpool to join us and was linked with Chelsea after playing just 4 games for us. There's no way he would've expected to be back playing in France within 4 years of that. He was an utter calamity for Newcastle, words can't explain how bad he was

Albertz tends to be overrated as a footballer by younger fans who were only around 10 or 11 when he played for us

His scoring record was sensational and he was a Novo-esque cult figure, but he wasn't a magnificent all round player, far from it

Work rate was poor and didn't defend very well. Great at scoring from midfield and good vision.

I always though Reyna was a good player, didn't know he was about the money, injuries ruined him though. I didn't think he would be the highest ever wage, thought Kanchelskis was the biggest wage we ever had.